3DCoat Forums

[Solved] PBR Material does not show correctly

Hrungdak

Go to solution Solved by digman,

Hi folks,

this is my first post as i am new to 3DCoat. I am some old guy, software developer, game enthusiast. I try to make some models for Unity3D, bought 3DCoat and now i am stuck.

Modelling works, Retopo is going to work. I really miss some good reference for 3DCoat, hints are welcome. My actual problem: when applying PBR material to an object, it seems to look all right in the preview, but when on the model, it has very low details and looks blurry. I found no hint to this behaviour, so does anyone have a hint where to look? I try to attach a picture of the issue.

What have i done? Create a voxel sphere, switch to paint room, apply PBR in an extra layer.

3dCoatProblem.png

• Reputable Contributor
  • Solution

"What have i done? Create a voxel sphere, switch to paint room, apply PBR in an extra layer."

The problem lies in not fully understanding how 3DC works. I am an old guy too 63 years old but have been doing 3D for a while now.

You are polypainting (no uv set) and the quality of your paint details is depended upon the amount of vertices you have in the surface mode model. When painting a voxel  model it is automatically switched to surface mode or in other words polygons and you are no longer in voxel mode. Also there is no depth applied in polypainting only color. In order to have depth for your smart materials you need  a retopo  mesh plus a uv set for the model and then bake the model to the paint room. If detailed color is all you desire and no depth (no baking) increase the amount of polygons / vertices in your sphere before working in the paint room.

Navigating 3DC's Youtube Channel to find the videos that will help you.

This series by a User of 3DC is a good one for first time users of 3DC. Watch the entire series at Youtube. 23 videos in total.

Edited by digman
  • Like 2

• Contributor

Exactly as Master David said.

General advice to all : DO watch the YouTube videos , they last only a few minutes each but they will explain very well each tool and solve any issues you may have.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the answers. For the first: not fully understanding is a little understated. I have seen all videos of alien minefield and nearly all of 3DCoat-Learn. I have read most of the 3DCoat-material that is available on the net. I have googled literally days for all my problems. And i am still far from using 3DC as it is supposed to.

I understand that my first post in this forum let you all roll your eyes and say "not another noob that we have to walk through all tutorials". But at least i found out that 3dc has some stumbling stones that makes it really hard for a newbie to get into the workflow. For this actual problem (which is solved due to your help) i had a nice rock with uv map and got to the paint room. This behaviour drove me crazy. I did not find any hint in the videos or google. The above problem description was the simplest way to reproduce the behaviour, so i choosed it to post it in here. The only thing i forgot was to Bake a normal map...

Sorry for the long post and thanks once more. There will be more problems, i know for sure.

Can anyone tell me how to set the title of this thread to solved?

• Like 1

• Contributor

Don't worry , we are here to help.

But from experience , watching the videos WILL solve all of your issues.

Glad you solved it by the way , you will see , 3DC is soooo easy to understand , at least the basic workflows.

I am preparing some tutorials myself with full workflows for different scenarios.

Will drop the links here , got you on  my list.

• Like 2

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] PBR Material does not show correctly