3DCoat Forums

Computer scratching sound in DX

Geika

Hello everyone, I open a new post because I need visibility on my question. 

I am currently testing 3D coat 4.7, and have realised that when opening it in DX mode (Wich is the fastest on my configuration when there is a lot of voxels), some composant of my computer were emiting "scratching" sounds when sculpting in the soft, or rotating the view.

My ressource monitor report me activity on my processor's core (nothing abnormal) but a lot activity on one of my hard drive, and I don't like it.

I can't see which disc is writing, but I have installed 3D coat on a SSD specific for the software and different from my ssd for my system.

Does some persons here have thoses "scratch" sounds too?

Is it the processor charge or a hard drive charge? (because I don't want my ssd to be writting and erased a lot in order to preserve it)

My configuration:

Windows 7

Intel i5 5600k, 16go ram, geforce GTX 960 4go gddr5 ram, ssd 128go for windows only, ssd 128go for software, 2 HD 2TO for files

Thank you for your answer Carlosan

I've opened my computer and the sound is coming from the processor or the GC.

HD are on the front of my computer and sound doesn't come from there.

It's a very high frequencies sound. It's like a little scractching but very fast and with a sound high and  discreet.

It's the first time I heard it, and it's why I'm confused.

I've changed recently (5 month) the power supply, the mother board, the processor, the GC, the ram. All those composants are news.

I've never heard that sound on the other soft (photoshop, zbrush, lightroom, modo, blender, premiere or after effect)

An idea?

3 hours ago, stusutcliffe said:

I used to get a similar noise, a bit higher pitched than that, It was my power supply on the way out. But I see you changed yours already. This was years ago but I am pretty sure it was just 3dcoat that did it.

What brand was your power supply stusucliffe?

My power supply is garanted 5 years, and is more powerfull than the effective needs of my computer, but I'll be green if one of my composant die 'cause of a soft.

I don't want my composants ages prematurly with 3d coat

Should I add ram to let the proc breath? Or make a SLI with my GC?

• Advanced Member

Hi Geika, Luckily I have my old computer specs to hand, I had a Thermaltake Toughpower 700 w psu... this was  2008! It was fine until I tried  a demo of 3dcoat, it was unusable because of the noise ! So I uninstalled the demo. But gradually the noise started to appear with other software too, until I did some research and figured out the psu was on its way out. I think that one lasted 4 to 5 years . I replaced it with an Antec 550 watt, that is stil working fine and it is far less wattage than the previous one!

I've just retired that computer after its 8th birthday, I replaced it with a refurbished HP Workstation ( 4 years old) The power supply on that is a generic HP one 475 watts ,there is a sticker on it that says 80 bronze. This works fine with 3 dCoat.

On my old computer ,when my 3dcoat sculpts were getting high polygon the proccessor fan would really get moving and be quite annoyingly loud . My newer computer is a xeon and seems to be a lot steadier and quieter.

• 3 years later...

Bit of an old post, but I'm experiencing similar issue. It seems to be only when I switch over to the "render" setup. And the tone of the pitch is different as I spin around or move closer to the objects in the scene. Very odd. I don't notice anything like that while in other 3D programs, Cinema 4D with different rendering options CPU and GPU. I can't really pinpoint where the sound is coming from exactly. Also just did a full update on my system, so everything is new (doesn't mean it's not a faulty part obviously) but wondering if anyone else has this similar issue or the OP figured out what it was and fixed it.

Thanks!