3DCoat Forums

baking process that is destroyed on closure of program

Stumpytwig

I've run into this problem multiple times where I've been working with the spheres of influence, and for reasons such as shutting down for the day, or the program crashing, I lose all of my spheres and I need to start that process completely over. It's just whenever the program is shut down. Is there some way that can be saved even when the program is closed?

• 2 months later...

How is that a missing feature and not a gross oversight? Forgive me for being a bit passionate... but the process of assigning the spheres of influence for complexe meshes is, to begin with, a huge pain in the rear. The number of unnecessary clicks to begin with... how come I have to click "pick" to pick a location on the creation of a new sphere and not being already in that mode. Then after painstaking work, it's not saved. And you have to redo it all again from scratch?!? It's HOURS of work cumulatively.

Also, the number on the sphere is so tiny on large screen. That plus the odd colors makes it in some case unreadable.

Also. the mesh preview is very rough in its display against the sculpt, too rough to anticipate in some cases where the influence is needed. And you can't display the paint layer that clearly shows the issues in the sculpt room. So again, tons of back and forth...

And you are forced to exit the software, because it handles memory like a hoarder. Especially if you bake large maps... 

not +1, plus this a THOUSAND!!! :) Chop chop!

T.

3 hours ago, tartinebrule said:

How is that a missing feature and not a gross oversight? Forgive me for being a bit passionate... but the process of assigning the spheres of influence for complexe meshes is, to begin with, a huge pain in the rear. The number of unnecessary clicks to begin with... how come I have to click "pick" to pick a location on the creation of a new sphere and not being already in that mode. Then after painstaking work, it's not saved. And you have to redo it all again from scratch?!? It's HOURS of work cumulatively.

Also, the number on the sphere is so tiny on large screen. That plus the odd colors makes it in some case unreadable.

Also. the mesh preview is very rough in its display against the sculpt, too rough to anticipate in some cases where the influence is needed. And you can't display the paint layer that clearly shows the issues in the sculpt room. So again, tons of back and forth...

And you are forced to exit the software, because it handles memory like a hoarder. Especially if you bake large maps... 

not +1, plus this a THOUSAND!!! :) Chop chop!

T.

This is something that has truly slowed down my workflow, because you never know when 3D coat decides to crash :) And yeah that Memory Problem really kills lots of the good parts of what 3D Coat can do, also don't try to vox hide and then undo to many times, you might not like the results :D sometimes 3D coat goes nuts here and forgets what has has to be undone :D It's a pity and I truly wish for a more stable Program.. Stil is better then Z .. in its own ways...

Edited by Speike-Styles

• Reputable Contributor

I address this issue in the Beta forum sometime ago... Also if you press cancel in the dialog box and you have placed a number of Zone of Control Spheres that are all removed.

EDIT: I posted a link to this post in the Beta thread.

Edited by digman

• 2 weeks later...

It's surprising that this issue doesn't get any acknowledgements.

Today, I wasted 2 hours of my day redoing over and over again the same #$@#%ing sphere of influence because the software doesn't save 6 values per points upon exit.

Seriously. How hard compare to all the other thing you're doing can it be to write up xyz coordinate + radius, in depth, out depth values?!?

As painful as  z brush is to learn... I'm thinking that it might be worth the investment in time in the long run.

Shameful.

• Reputable Contributor

I hope when a new beta is released it is fixed...  For production use this is no good at all.... I been using 3DC right at 10 years and seen it progress, sometimes bugs are fixed quick and other times, a long time goes by.  That creates the grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr feelings. :dash2:

Edited by digman

You look like an imbecile when the client ask for a simple change and sees you doing the same ridiculous task over and over again.

I'm working with a fairly low polygonal model, yet it's "too big for retopo". And with 32GB of ram I go into swap instantly.

Since I can't ask the client to close his eyes and imagine what the displacement will look like once it's textured and rendered in the scene... I have to bake, exit and loose the settings, launch maya, and present. Then get feedbacks from the client, and redo it all over again.

The model is challenging for baking because of the sharp angles of certain features. Which imply doing a lot of work with spheres of influence. Once it's set up it works great. But @#$@# me doing this over and over again.

It's been a long day... not looking forward to monday.

• Reputable Contributor
26 minutes ago, Tony Nemo said:

Are we to 'select' polys that need adjusting? I see no means without the spheres. 

Thanks big time Andrew, I know this took some work!!

Looking foward to testing it when released in a beta.

@Tony...

Andrew said draw, which might mean that we paint (relax) the cage, similar to the brush tool in the retopo room but this one would be for your cage to push outward or inward. 

I will be happy if this method is saved with the 3DC file or maybe the ability to export the adjusted cage for re-importing from the dialog box or as tartinebrule said...

Edited by digman

• Reputable Contributor

Really want to see this beta build... Curious at how it works... Mine was only a quess, thinking it might be similar to Marmoset 3 which has the ability to paint on the cage brush like to raise or lower cage in an areas according to the need.