3DCoat Forums

Stone Pillar

Michael Rosa

The focus on this project was to increase production speed and texture work. Understanding the tools more and putting my mindset within a production environment where time is crucial. Have to agree, building a library of your own kit-bashing assets is essential to this workflow. Voxel merging is top notch, and the PBR workflow is priceless. All feedback is welcomed. 

GxyCEsF.jpg

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Garagarape said:

Cool asset! Very natural. Do you have a wireframe shot of your pile model?

Thanks

I didn't think of posting a wire frame cuz it's a high-poly model. I have it in mind to always provide wire-frames of retopologized/low-poly meshes as they can provide learning material for both me and the viewer. Examples like, optimization, edge layout to help setup unwrapping and hiding UV seams, a better understanding of how to retopo. Things like that. 

At this models current state, the polycount is so dense that you're not really looking at or learning anything. That's my opinion, always up for insight in case I'm missing something. 

I'll use one of my monolithic rocks  as an example that I think benefits your curiosity.

This asset I learned a lot from. It was intended to be a stylized rock that will be close to the camera. Before I started the retopo stage, I had it in mind to setup my edges in areas that can hide UV seams. Also understanding that the asset would be placed in an area where the camera can get up close to it, I decided to give it a healthy amount of geometry. As I understand now, scenes in games can have a ton of polys in it without much issue. So I used this project as an opportunity to learn about balance. I learned that my UV islands can be reduced, and the model itself would have still been fine with less geometry. One of my primary sources of education during this process was feedback. Feedback is essential in this industry.

hRHAhAC.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tony Nemo said:

Will you produce a displacement map for you first column? It's edge contours will benefit.

Are you talking about the first column of bricks? I actually wanted to make that look a little different intentionally, but I think it's not working. They're just smaller than everything else. I would need to make them larger. I think providing a displacement just for that column would add an unnecessary draw call to an engine. I think the efficient thing to do is remodel that area so the size is proportionate to the rest of the bricks, and let the lowpoly mesh and normal map take care of the rest.