3DCoat Forums

how do i join 2 open mesh surfaces

3DCNC

• Advanced Member

Hi

I have been struggling to figure this one out. I have attached an image of a head and neck and mesh file. There is a gap between them. I am trying to join them. Partial hole fix does not work as they are fully separated with no connecting polygon. Is there a way to fix without using another program? 

mesh weld.jpg

7.obj

• Advanced Member

Hey. Thanks for trying to answer this one for me. I was in the sculpt workspace. If  I am in the retopo workspace, I can draw polygons on top of the mesh, but not sure how to modify the "reference mesh" in that workspace ( Image attached)

I thought if I could just build a few polygons between the parts - I could use the hole fill feature to fill up the rest of the space. I could not find the tools to do this.

mesh weld2.jpg

• Advanced Member

Tony, lets see if I am following you.

What I did that worked - I imported into the retopo room and added polygons to join head and neck. I exported the mesh. I then imported the mesh into the sculpt room where I used the fill holes . 

It seemed long winded.

Edited by 3DCNC

• Advanced Member

Whats also missing in my knowledge. Is how to join surfaces into 1 unit, that are touching but not joined, so I can treat them as one unit.

If I put them in the same layer, does 3d coat treat them as 1 object?

I use Rhino for most of my work. If I join the meshes in Rhino and export to 3d coat , it still comes in as 2 objects.

mesh weld4.jpg

• Advanced Member

None of the 3d coat mesh fixing vidoes I can find on youtube show me how to join loose "islands" to a mesh object. I want to create a watertight model if possible. For cnc cutting its not really important , but I would still like to know how it is done.

The online 3d coat manual seems to give very little information.

• Advanced Member

What I was trying to do, is adjust and fix a mesh for cnc cutting. I dont need to uv or paint the model.

The problem I had at the start was a neck mesh that was not matching the opening in the head. I wanted to join the neck mesh to the head mesh and sculpt to to fix and blend.

• Reputable Contributor

Import the model into the Sculpt workspace, using the IMPORT tool (or from File menu) > In the Tool Options panel, uncheck IMPORT WITHOUT VOXELIZING > CHECK IMPORT WITH THICKNESS > CHECK IMPORT AS SEPARATE INSTANCES. This should separate each object to it's own layer and give it a little thickness, so it can be voxelized properly.

With two separate Voxel layers, that have some thickness to them, select the neck layer > Transform tool > move it up to where it just barely intersects the other layer. You can now merge these layers together. Move your cursor to the right side of one layer (you'll see a MOVE icon) > LMB Click and drag while holding the SHIFT key. That will effectively weld them together. Voxels are perfect for merging objects together, but they cannot work on a single-sided mesh. They must have some volume. That's what adding THICKNESS does. It gives Voxels the requisite volume needed.

If they are merged together correctly, I would then RMB click the layer > FILL VOIDS. This will make the interior of the object completely solid. Now if you start cleaning up the the joined areas, it doesn't punch a hole through.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Thanks AbnRanger

Very helpful. As I said I use Rhino for most of my work. Rhino seems to handle meshes differently form other applications .Which is confusing me.  If I join 2 meshes together into 1 mesh /object then explode . It goes back to 2 meshes. I would expect explode to separate the mesh into individual polygons. If I join the meshes in Rhino then export to 3Dcoat , they come in as 2 meshes.

From your video and playing around , importing the current model as a solid voxel is the most useful for my requirements. 

I have been playing with the object ( creating solid)  in meshmixer 3 before importing into 3dcoat. Which has been interesting. I join the 2 surfaces before creating a solid. Tried to do it in 3dcoat, but it went crazy after I applied thickness. ( flikering of screen and object disapeared). I will try again later.

mesh weld6.jpg

Edited by 3DCNC