3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Viewport Shading Problem

Mrog

Hey guys and girls!

I am a new user dabbling around with 3d Coat, trying to find an approachable tool to get into pbr materials for realtime presentations. I am coming from the NURBS+Keyshot realm of product design and I am looking for ways to integrate a realtime approach into the rather CAD heavy workflow. 3D Coat seems to be the best choice for that so far since it is relatively easy to just get going instead of doing a shit ton of prep work and generating a bazillion maps beforehand no one has ever heard of (unless you do something with games and stuff). ;)

Unfortunately I am having a HUGE issue right now and I cannot figure out how to solve it. I can't get my viewport to properly display pbr materials. It always looks like a phong material from 1995. No matter how many fancy reflective metal materials I add. It will display color and bump maps just fine. But that's about it. I tried it with DX and GL, both the same. I was thinking it might be my old graphics card (Radeon 6700) but even the onboard Chip (HD 3000) produces the same result. Also - everything in sketchfab for example is displayed perfectely, so at least theoretically the hardware should be able to produce proper results. 

Is there any secret setting I am missing? I am really THIS close to giving up.

screenshot.png

Ok, thx! I did that. I think I disabled the glossiness when I messed around with the settings to try to find a solution. Now at least a basic shading ist back.

But the problems still stands: No reflections at all and very dull looking.

screenshot.jpg

Tried the beta 4.7.17 and it has the exact same problem. I also tried it on my surface pro where the shaders work flawlessly and pbr looks beautifull.

Interestingly enough when I save a file on my machine and bring it to my surface and open it up I am looking at the same reflectionless, dull shaders. But I can just slap some shiny stuff on top of it and it works, without changing any setting or anything like that.

And now I saved the shiny surface file and opened it on my main machine... and it suddenly works! Not only that, it doesn't just display correctly but it basically cured the problem completely. Now it even works when I open up an entirely unrelated file which wasn't the case before. Soooo I am sure it was some weird software setting that got overwritten by opening a correct file, if that makes sense. Still no idea what it was though, but I am happy now. I suspect the problem is sitting in front of the computer and I would be interested to hear what the problem might have been so I can avoid it in the future.

Thanks for the help!