3DCoat Forums

Is a tablet or mouse better for sculpting

3DCNC

• Advanced Member

Hi

I was wondering if I should buy a budget Wacom tablet for sculpting. I use a mouse normally.

Is it a nightmare to setup?

Is there a good budget model to buy? Wacom has a 3d version. Not sure if the 3d pen features work in 3d coat?

Wacom Intuos 3D Pen with Touch CTH - 690TK Black

Edited by 3DCNC

• Advanced Member

Great. So a basic tablet works fine. What size are you using? Is their any advantage  to spend a little more.

I might also use it to play with Artrage. I am  planning to use 3dcoat only for sculpting.

Thanks for advice . I might give it a little more thought.

Edited by 3DCNC

• Reputable Contributor

I would think virtually every user here, uses a tablet of some sort. Much of the brush interaction in 3D Coat, is based on STYLUS pressure. You have none if you are using a mouse. If you use 3D Coat and digital image editing apps like Photoshop or the new kid on the block, Affinity Photo, you almost have to use a tablet.

• Advanced Member

Hi, 

Didnt know they came in different sizes? I bought my first one years ago  which got a bit shiny and worn over the years....never had to change the nib ever! Then I was gifted one that had not been used much.

The usable surface area is a rectangle  154mm by 96mm so I guess that sounds small to me.  To be honest I have never used a larger tablet so I really dont know what I am missing. It was always a budgetry thing for me. I dont even know what the prices are these days. If you are unsure just get the cheapest one for now, see how it goes. I have never felt it has held me back from doing anything. I use Artrage by the way also, for painting painterly backgrounds for my 3dcoat sculpts.

"Proper" artists may recommend larger ones.....think I will now go and check out some prices now.....

Just noticed my pen is set to travel across two monitors, I usually have it set just for the main one, I wonder when that unset itself,I hadnt even noticed!

Edited by stusutcliffe

• Advanced Member

Thanks for info and advice. just bought a medium Wacom  Intuos Art. The 3D version came with Zbrush. I have enough 3D software, and I have decided to focus attention on 3D - Coat for digital sculpting. I also have Art Rage and Affinity Photo- to play with. 

Edited by 3DCNC
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

Thanks Tony. At the moment settled for medium  Wacom Intuos Art and a 3dconnexion spacenavigator. Its OK for now. Pen was rubbish (felt like it would fly out of my hand at any moment), but modified with  tape to increase grip, weight and size. Image attached. I am still wondering if I should have just gone with basic small.

wacom.jpg

Edited by 3DCNC
extra details

On 12/20/2016 at 1:26 PM, Malo said:

I have an old Bamboo and it works nice with 3d coat.

A tablet is realy nice, but it depends on you, maybe you like the working with a mouse more.

how old are we talking? I have a  MTE-450 but i haven't actually tried using it yet (would need to find it) might have to give it a go though I guess :)

• Advanced Member

MTE-450 is the one I have been using for the last 5 or 6 years, perfectly fine for 3dcoat, my current one is a MTE-450A ...I guess that is a later model. The only problems I have had is the driver was a bit flaky, but maybe that was to do with Vista.

Ya never gonna get anywhere with sculptin' software with just a mouse.

• 3 years later...

You can sculpt with a mouse but not only will it destroy your wrist but you'll be playing with size settings and things that can be controller with the pressure input. You'll waste a lot of time in doing so as well.

Honestly, it took me a bit of getting used to my XP-PEN  ( https://www.xp-pen.com ) drawing tablet  at first, but as soon as I did, it was absolutely worth it. I don't use it as a mouse like some of my peers do (I use 3 monitors, so it just doesn't work effectively - I restrain it to my primary screen when I'm working with it), but it's definitely a must have for sculpting in 3D Coat or Zbrush . After adjusting to how it translates to screen space, it became much more natural.

• Advanced Member

I think after 4 years he has probably made his choice...hee hee.:mellow:

By the why I am still using the same Bamboo as I was in my last post on this thread... 4 years ago. ( I did have to swap the nib....for the first time ever...) Maybe I should upgrade. I think I will do a quick reco mission on the interwebs.