3DCoat Forums

Brush Presets - Now very Impressed!

3DCNC

• Advanced Member

Although I have owned a copy of 3d Coat for a while, I have never fully attempted to try and use it till now.  I will be honest and say that 2 days ago  I was wondering if the program  was any any better than Z brush or Sculptris. (Be-aware, I am a novice) . Thanks to AbnRanger for giving me this link below. Really helpful!

Most of the standard brushes I was testing did not respond in the way I thought or hoped they would. Some clay brushes seemed to give me the same result  after changing some settings , this included  trying to modify the brush curves and alpha's.  I realized what was wrong after I downloaded some brush presets off a Youtube link and analyzed them a bit more closely  to see how they worked.  The video link I think is in chinese (wish I could understand the text!) . . I am witing this to maybe help another novice like me. 

The  artist has got a link to his brush presets on one of his videos!

The image attached right below is just me playing/doodling  with various brush presets on my new Wacom tablet. 

I found his videos very helpful understanding building brush presets and  how far you can go on a low-poly voxel model before going over to live clay brushes.

blog:http://hagenomyia.wordpress.com/ twitter:http://twitter.com/koji_hagenomyia youtube:http://www.youtube.com/user/hagenomyia

brushpresets.jpg

Edited by 3DCNC
spelling
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

My current goal is to eventually "try" and follow this Zbrush tutorial or simiar using 3D coat. I am currently trying to match the brush settings in 3Dcoat with presets.

Edited by 3DCNC
added details

• Reputable Contributor

FYI.  A few years ago, the community ask Andrew if he could make it possible for us to create our own brush presets that work the way we would like them too. There is a large number of parameters that can be adjusted and saved as preset. This is one of the strengths and powerful features of 3DC.  Artman created a large Preset surface brush selection which is now included in the program and can be loaded anytime. I use parts of it and have created my own presets plus created presets for Voxel mode as well.

Enjoy and hope your deeper learning of 3DC goes well...

Edited by digman

• Advanced Member

Thanks digman.  I agree 3Dcoat is "very" flexible. I think the problem for me at the start was that I thought that all the brushes would work as I wanted, straight from the tool panel on the left. I was looking for a tool like the Damstandard brush in Z-Brush.

The preset tab came with loads of presets , which was great but also confusing for me as a new user. I would have been happy with just  a basic set that matched the feel of the tools in Sculptris. So I could jump into the included busts/models  and doodle/play. It does not matter now, because I am there and happy.

• Reputable Contributor

Someone created an equivalent to the DamStandard and the hPolish brush in ZB, but for obvious reasons, Pilgway cannot use the very same naming convention, unless it's a very generic brush name...like SMOOTH. I believe the DamStandard is named LC CREASE or LC GROOVE. hPolish is POLISH CRISP. Trim Dynamic is just TRIM