3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Flickering/Artifacts on Retina/macOS

VagabondRay

Hi folks;

I have a license of 3D Coat for PC and I decided to download the trial for macOS since I am considering purchasing an extra license.

I will say that I did get the latest beta at the time of this writing (4.7.16 for macOS) since I've always been using the latest/greatest/cutting edge. Couple of hick-ups that I can appreciate are a side effect of using a beta version. However there is something that appears fundamentally wrong with the display in the Sculpt room. 

When I navigate, no matter which method, it seems that the overall quality improves as opposed to when it sits there idle which feels reversed that what I'd expect. If I hold down Alt (or simply click and hold on the viewport) the quality of the textures becomes crisper, aliasing reduces on the edges of the model and cavity drawing becomes much better. Quality is as good as in the Render room with RealTime Render and Shadows turned off -- while I am orbiting! However, as soon as I let go, quality degrades slightly i.e. textures become softer, aliasing appears on the edges of the model, cavities look rough etc. I could live with that, but more importantly there is a quick "flicker" as it seems to redraw the viewport when the orbit-focus-gizmo goes away. I don't even have to navigate actually. If I hold Alt and let go, the problem can be observed.

Also I noticed as I was editing the applied shader (out of the box shaders), If I open the shader editor and leave it open, as I navigate around this problem does not occur either. Quality is consistently high and everything looks gorgeous.

It's bizarre -- it should be the other way around.

For what is worth, if I don't use HiDPI, this issue does not occur, but of course I wouldn't want to do that.

What is the expected behaviour with Retina displays? Am I missing something here?

BTW this is all happening on a 5K Retina iMac (32 GB Ram, 4GB GPU). And again, to be clear, it's doesn't feel like a performance problem -- it feels like there is a reverse buffering or something going on.

Thanks

9 hours ago, VagabondRay said:

When I navigate, no matter which method, it seems that the overall quality improves... If I hold down Alt (or simply click and hold on the viewport) the quality of the textures becomes crisper, aliasing reduces on the edges...

This is how "3D-Coat" currently supports "Retina Display". The support is not yet finished. Currently "3D-Coat" supports "Retina Display" only inside "On-screen framebuffer", but it doesn't support "Retina Display" inside "Off-screen render targets". When you are navigating or holding [ALT] then "3D-Coat" renders scene into "On-screen framebuffer" which supports "Retina Display". But on idle "3D-Coat" is displaying "Off-screen render target" which currently doesn't support "Retina Display". In the next BETA-build this behaviour will be disabled because we need some more time to implement support for "Retina Display" inside "Off-screen render targets".

• 1 month later...