3DCoat Forums

Houdini 16 Amarok Launch Event

Nossgrr

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Houdini default capture (biharmonic) looks so unreal.

And yeah Houdini 2016 is the great one. This is the one that puts it clearly out in advance of everyone else.

Maya sucks bad. :(

Can somebody tell me what this "Amarok" thing is about? Haven't a clue.

Edited by L'Ancien Regime

• Advanced Member

In case you missed it, here's the link for the presentation (Might be the same one as above, not sure but just in case). The live event broadcast was choppy but they actually had in-house recording as well, that's the link I'm posting. Definitely worth the watch.

Amazing new features.. The new boolean system, new rigging (biharmonic), infinite oceans, the new terrain tools.. All realtime in the viewport with opencL acceleration...etc. Cool stuff! :)

Edited by Nossgrr

• Reputable Contributor
2 hours ago, Nossgrr said:

In case you missed it, here's the link for the presentation (Might be the same one as above, not sure but just in case). The live event broadcast was choppy but they actually had in-house recording as well, that's the link I'm posting. Definitely worth the watch.

Amazing new features.. The new boolean system, new rigging (biharmonic), infinite oceans, the new terrain tools.. All realtime in the viewport with opencL acceleration...etc. Cool stuff! :)

Thanks for the updated link. The only one I saw, had the glitches you mentioned. I'm totally impressed and from what the speaker implied, Houdini is going hard after the disenfranchised XSI users. That tells me both modeling and Character animation will soon be on par with Maya, like XSI was. And that is saying a lot. Smart strategy.

• Advanced Member

Not on a par ABN Ranger...I think Houdini modeling is going to totally revolutionize our ideas about what to expect in a modeller.

And the part in the Houdini Amarok about Houdini infinite Ocean was really really beautiful what with all the multiple wave generations and the ability to mask out patches to create a ruffled uneven and super realistic ocean. Very impressive stuff.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Contributor

Yeah, the new booleans are pretty darn incredible. And so is the biharmonic capture which can save hours of skinning.

Overall, from what I already tested out I can say that this is an awesome release. So many cool features and bugfixes! I can't detach myself from the computer... :D

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, ajz3d said:

Yeah, the new booleans are pretty darn incredible. And so is the biharmonic capture which can save hours of skinning.

Overall, from what I already tested out I can say that this is an awesome release. So many cool features and bugfixes! I can't detach myself from the computer... :D

Yep. That skinning feature plus muscles helps seal the deal with me. I suspect this release will be a milestone, where Houdini is finally viewed more as a full pipeline app than just a collection VFX tools. I was hoping Chaos Group would create a Modo port for their PhoenixFD plugin, but I got tired of waiting. They had a lot of people requesting it, on the Chaos Group forums, but they just said they would look into it. Too late, now. Houdin makes too much sense.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
4 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

Yep. That skinning feature plus muscles helps seal the deal with me. I suspect this release will be a milestone, where Houdini is finally viewed more as a full pipeline app than just a collection VFX tools. I was hoping Chaos Group would create a Modo port for their PhoenixFD plugin, but I got tired of waiting. They had a lot of people requesting it, on the Chaos Group forums, but they just said they would look into it. Too late, now. Houdin makes too much sense.

I'm not the first person to say it but the mistake that Modo (was forced into?) made was to sell out to Foundry.  

But Houdini is not Modo's big danger right now; Blender is getting really good and at that price poitnt $0.00 it's going to be pretty hard to compete.

• Reputable Contributor
7 hours ago, L'Ancien Regime said:

I'm not the first person to say it but the mistake that Modo (was forced into?) made was to sell out to Foundry.  

But Houdini is not Modo's big danger right now; Blender is getting really good and at that price poitnt $0.00 it's going to be pretty hard to compete.

I knew Modo was getting stiff competition from Blender, but Houdini Indie is now even more of a threat. The only impediment now, for Houdini, is it's complexity and steep learning curve. The proceduralism is nice, but watching some tutorials the past few days, I was like "dang, it takes way too many steps to perform even simple tasks." The Boolean video you showed above, Modo and HardOps in Blender can do that in a fraction of the time. Was watching a VDB Cloud tutorial, today, and it was making my head hurt having to try and follow the 50+ steps he took just to create a decent cloud.

I will probably just model in Modo and use it as a VRay rendering hub, but do everything else in Houdini. I wish Houdini would create a simple modifier stack and "Command Panel" with relevant buttons, for the selected modifier, so that it's much easier for non-TD's to work in the app. They could have the node network available, but the complexity of it is not for everyone. If they want to appeal to artists, give users a more simplified API to access their tools. For example, in Max, you can use the classic Material Editor or the Node-based material editor. Sometimes you don't want to have to fool with nodes just to slap a simple material on a few objects. 

• Advanced Member

You know AbnRanger, I'm an artist not a scientist. 

My understanding is there's two routes to being a TD;

1. Go to a film school like Vancouver Film School and spend $35k a year for 2 years. Then serve as an unpaid intern  for 10 years before you're allowed to do anything. And that's a good thing because I've seen what 2 years and $70k produces at VFS and it's a shocking scandal when you analyze it from a business point of view and see how the school has private student loan (sharks) hard wired into the racket to snare the young and naive into a dreadful web of debt and escalating compound interest they'll never pay off.

2. Be a NASA engineer that dreams at night in C and C++, with deep knowledge and experience with image processing from Mars rovers and Voyagers etc. 

I'm not either of those. 

If I'm going to spend $70k it's on equipment. I could talk about that for hours. 

Having said that I like the Houdini approach a lot, particularly it's proceduralism. I strongly feel this is the true road to being the master of the computer arts game. I make reference to say, Catia''s history tree and the ability to go back and work with parameters in the attribute editors in a robust dependency graph if I may be allowed to call it that. Maya's dependency graph is terrible for this. Houdini's is rock solid.  But Maya's is a 20 year old antique and Houdini's is brand new and fresh. 

Houdini is granular to the most detailed molecular, even atomic level.  This makes is more than just an artist's atelier. This makes it an alchemists laboratory.

Personally I think the future is going to be Houdini and Fabric Engine.

I was looking at 3d Coat 4.7.24 the other day...Menu bar, Help..About 3D Coat. Authors...Open VDB: volokh Vitalii.

How interesting is that? 3d Coat is Open VDB.. open Voxel Data Base?

Houdini is big time Open VDB

I'm not saying Andrew should ever sell his precious jewel, but if he ever did, wouldn't it be cool if it got sold or licensed to Houdini to become part of its pipeline, and tap into Houdini's relatively vast resources and intellectual network for future advances?  There'd be a lot of synergy there for sure.

I can dream...

I dream of 3d Coat blowing away Zbrush. Houdini's resources could be the factor that propels it past Zbrush.