3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Using image textures

kenmo

• Advanced Member

Sorry but presently at work so I don't have access to 3DCoat. I'll ty to explain this as best I can.

In the older versions of 3DC in the paint room you could place a texture in the form of a jpg onto the screen and using a white color and brush, paint the image of the jpg onto the surface of your model. For example I could use a photo of a brick wall and paint it onto the wall of a model of a building.

When initially pulling the jpg over from your desktop onto the paint room you are prompted, what do you want to use the image for stencil, alpha, smart material, etc. I always selected smart material. And it worked perfectly.

Last night I tried this several times and I did select smart materia but using a white brush, it did not seem to work. It appears you must save the smart material to your smart material collection, but even doing that, it failed to work.

What has changed or what am I doing wrong? Using ver 4.7 64 bit...

• Advanced Member

Presently at work, but I did take a brief look at it. I'll read in more depth at lunch time or when I get home. But it certainly looks like my issue. I wish Andrew would STOP changing things around like this. The old way seemed so much easier to use and that's the beauty of 3DC, ease of use for texturing. I couldn't care a hill of beans about voxels or retopology as that's NOT what attracted me to 3DC...

Cheers & many thanks...

Ken

• Advanced Member

Wow...thanks kindly. I watched at lunch time while eating my salad. That is what I was asking. Once again simple once you know thanks to you and ABRanger's excellent video tutorial...

• Advanced Member

for me  i open a new smart material and add the image from there then save as new.   Then i open that up a overlay/the photo is displayed and i can paint it on my model  with any color meaning it works with any color not just white . You can   put that same photo in as a alpha and use it as a stamp  both ways have there strengths / uses .   also  the smart material use From Camera  as  preferred  mapping . also I now see I have it as white  (COLOR) in the setup in smart material  not sure if that matters.

Edited by Ballistic_Tension
  • Like 1