3DCoat Forums

some questions about 3d coat

maliohammad

hello , 

I have downloaded the trial of 3d coat , and got those questions :

1-is it possible to work without the nice PBR shaders and use the normal grey shader like in any other 3d app ?

because 3d coat use a lot of resources and force my laptop to run full speed which I don't like ....

2-sometimes I got some visula glitches like part hiding and showing ...etc , and I got more of those glitches when I use the muscle tool .

3- what is the recommended hardware for 3d coat and what is the minimal ?

thanks , 

• Reputable Contributor

There are quite a few shared shaders from the main page > DOWNLOAD > RESOURCES section. You could use them, instead, or just modify the default PBR shader or one of Pictmat shaders, to suit your preferences. As far as visual glitches, it's hard to know without seeing what is occurring on screen and without knowing what your system specs are, and what build you may be using. Sometimes, just closing the app and restarting can correct little glitches here and there. But if it's a viewport issue, many times it's a graphic card driver issue. You will want to make sure that you have updated your drivers, and see if that doesn't work. Then, if that doesn't resolve it, try using the other format (DX or OpenGL). I find that OpenGL tends to be a bit fussy once in a while, whenever may try to use it. So, I tend to stick with DX.

As for your laptop...you have to understand that 3D Coat is designed to make full use of your system's resources, when feasible. It's mostly multi-threaded, but when you are tumbling around a model made up of Millions of Polygons, it is going to tax your graphics card...especially one on a laptop, as they don't have much space for airflow. Thus the fans kick in at 100% sooner than they would on a desktop.

12 minutes ago, AbnRanger said:

without knowing what your system specs are, and what build you may be using. Sometimes, just closing the app and restarting can correct little glitches here and there. But if it's a viewport issue

thanks for reply , 

I am using macbook pro 2014 13"  , MacOS Sierra 

CPU : dual 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5 

GPU :Intel Iris 1536 MB

Ram 8GB DDR3 1600mhz

my build is  4.7.21

22 minutes ago, AbnRanger said:

Then, if that doesn't resolve it, try using the other format (DX or OpenGL). I find that OpenGL tends to be a bit fussy once in a while, whenever may try to use it. So, I tend to stick with DX.

I am using mac , so open GL is the only option , right ?

• Reputable Contributor

8GB's of RAM is on the extremely low side of the capacity needed to sculpt in 3D Coat. Since your OS and system components probably use about 3-4GB, that leaves you with only about 3GB's to work with before your OS starts writing to your page file...and things start getting really slow when that happens. Same thing with Intel Graphics. It's not designed to handle the heavy load a 3D sculpting app, with PBR viewport rendering will put on it.

With limited resources, you'll find yourself a bit limited in what you can do in 3D Coat

1 minute ago, AbnRanger said:

8GB's of RAM is on the extremely low side of the capacity needed to sculpt in 3D Coat. Since your OS and system components probably use about 3-4GB, that leaves you with only about 3GB's to work with before your OS starts writing to your page file...and things start getting really slow when that happens. Same thing with Intel Graphics. It's not designed to handle the heavy load a 3D sculpting app, with PBR viewport rendering will put on it.

With limited resources, you'll find yourself a bit limited in what you can do in 3D Coat

yes , and that is why I asked if I can disable the PBR shaders all together .

because I can sculpt in c4d , and more than 4 million polygons and everything is okay