3DCoat Forums

AMD Ryzen prices released

• 2 weeks later...
  • Reputable Contributor
8 hours ago, PolyHertz said:

Just fyi for the early adopters, it seems there might be some issues at launch:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=230986880&postcount=2076

I wouldn't be surprised if a brand new, rebuilt from the ground up, CPU line had a few bios hiccups on some boards and such. That other stuff, I'm not buying it. Sounds like some are just trying to throw a cold bucket of water on a much-anticipated launch. We'll see soon enough.

• Advanced Member

And even if you ultimately don't want AMD this is all a good thing; Intel just dramatically cut its prices today.

http://wccftech.com/intel-amd-price-war-ryzen-processors/

Intel Kaby Lake, Skylake and Haswell Processors Get Massive Price Cuts By Retailers – Team Blue Beginning To Feel The Imminent Threat of AMD Ryzen Processors
Over at Microcenter, we can see a large array of Intel processors that have undergone insane price cuts. We are looking at processors from the Kaby Lake, Skylake and even Haswell generations that are going at discounts of up to $300 US. Following is a list of all the processors that have seen price cuts at the retail site:

• Advanced Member

And even if you ultimately don't want AMD this is all a good thing; Intel just dramatically cut its prices today.

http://wccftech.com/intel-amd-price-war-ryzen-processors/

Intel Kaby Lake, Skylake and Haswell Processors Get Massive Price Cuts By Retailers – Team Blue Beginning To Feel The Imminent Threat of AMD Ryzen Processors
Over at Microcenter, we can see a large array of Intel processors that have undergone insane price cuts. We are looking at processors from the Kaby Lake, Skylake and even Haswell generations that are going at discounts of up to $300 US. Following is a list of all the processors that have seen price cuts at the retail site:

• Reputable Contributor

Still not enough, and even if they match AMD, dollar for dollar, I would still buy AMD this time....to teach Intel a good lesson. Sit on your hands for years, because you can, and gouge your customers....because you can....and this is what you get. A swift kick in the shorts, in terms of marketshare.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
23 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

Still not enough, and even if they match AMD, dollar for dollar, I would still buy AMD this time....to teach Intel a good lesson. Sit on your hands for years, because you can, and gouge your customers....because you can....and this is what you get. A swift kick in the shorts, in terms of marketshare.

AMD’s Ryzen 7 8 Core Beats Intel’s 10 Core in Multithreaded Tests,

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7-1700x-6950x-7700k-cpu-benchmarks/

:p:

AMD-Ryzen-7-1700X-Single-Threaded-Perfor

AMD-Ryzen-7-1700X-Multi-Threaded-Perform

Edited by L'Ancien Regime

• Reputable Contributor

The multi-threaded results have been very good... For our type of work and rendering the best bang for the buck...

I am curious how 3DC will perform using the Ryzen 1800x... I am sure someone here will post that at sometime. 

I am waiting for the motherboards to mature and bios get optimized better.

Edited by digman

• Advanced Member

Intel 6950x with 20 threads, 10 cores is slower than the Ryzen 1800x in the Cinebench test

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1257561&gclid=CMfY7pHmwdICFZKGfgodAw8Fug&is=REG&c3api=1876%2C72666272882%2C%2C&Q=&A=details&pcur=CAD

Check out how much  more expensive the Intel 6950x is

• Reputable Contributor

Yeah, for us in the Digital Content Creation world, AMD finally has a better answer than Intel. It's been a long, long time since they could say that, so it's no small feat. However, I may wait a few months and see if they come out with chips that can overclock better than these. I was really surprised that they don't seem to be able to OC above 4Ghz very well, if at all. It's quite surprising, too, because at 14nm, it should have quite a bit of OC headroom. Wouldn't be surprised if they don't clean that up in the next 6mos or so, and release an 1850X and 1750X which has much more room to OC

• Advanced Member
On 3/6/2017 at 7:10 AM, AbnRanger said:

Yeah, for us in the Digital Content Creation world, AMD finally has a better answer than Intel. It's been a long, long time since they could say that, so it's no small feat. However, I may wait a few months and see if they come out with chips that can overclock better than these. I was really surprised that they don't seem to be able to OC above 4Ghz very well, if at all. It's quite surprising, too, because at 14nm, it should have quite a bit of OC headroom. Wouldn't be surprised if they don't clean that up in the next 6mos or so, and release an 1850X and 1750X which has much more room to OC

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-performance-negatively-affected-windows-10-scheduler-bug/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 3/5/2017 at 9:44 AM, digman said:

The multi-threaded results have been very good... For our type of work and rendering the best bang for the buck...

I am curious how 3DC will perform using the Ryzen 1800x... I am sure someone here will post that at sometime. 

I am waiting for the motherboards to mature and bios get optimized better.

I built a 7700k and a 1700 test rig. Both auto OCed. The 1700 at 3.7 and the 7700k at 4.7.

3DC 7700k is 20% faster in load+auto uv, 10% faster in curvature, same in ao (gpu bound), 1700 is nearly 2x faster in smart material fill.

Overall the ryzen feels more responsive. Both systems were crippled slightly because i was using my os ssd which was built for i7 920. When doing a clean install on the 7700k before i returned both,, ssd IO was much faster.

Edited by andre3000
  • Like 2