3DCoat Forums

Problem with metalness when importing OBJ

kenmo

• Advanced Member

Hi...

I am texturing a mechbird I modeled in Groboto3D, Hexagon3D & Wings3D. The mechbird is comprised of 4 separate objects - body, head, right wing, left wing. All four objects are imported into 3DC and uvmapped and painted (which I would like to add is a very pleasurable experience).

The body was saved as a 3DC file. The head and wings are also saved as a 3DC file and also exported as OBJs.

When I'm finished I open the body 3DC and then import the head, right wing & left wing OBJs. However I lose the metalness (glossiness of the head & wings).

Below are screen captures of the body & head in the paint room after being uvmapped.

Body.jpg

head.jpg

• Advanced Member

Here is a screen capture after I open the body 3DC file. And then import the head OBJ. The body retains the glossiness, the head does not. I have the same results with the wings.

body-head.jpg

• Advanced Member

Here's a screen capture of my metalness map for the head.

I know it's something stupid I'm doing. Any help or comments would be most appreciated....

Cheers & many thanks...

Ken

head_Default_metalness.jpg

• Advanced Member

Currentlu using ver 4.7.06. So I will grab the newer version and give it a try....

Cheers

Ken

3DC-ver.jpg

Edited by kenmo

• Advanced Member

Ok... I just upgraded and I'm getting the same results as before... Must be something I'm doing...???

3DC-4.7.24.jpg

• Advanced Member

Ok... I did get it to work somewhat after the upgrade. I had to re-export the head obj and maps. HOWEVER when I used "export object & textures", not all the maps I had selected exported. Only the metal map exported. So I exported the normal map, displacement map and color map separately. Must be a bug? I tried it twice with the head and had the same results.

I then opened the body.3dc file and imported the head.obj.  When I did this I lost the gold and gloss on the collar (see attached screen capture). The collar is part of the body and not the head. Reapply the body color map gave the gold color to the collar. Applying the body metal map did not.

The grey head without any maps applied already had a glossy shine to it. Previously it had a matte finish. I then imported the color map and the normal & displacement maps. Just out of curiously I applied the metal map to the head which turned off the gloss to the head.

body-head-4.7.24.jpg

Edited by kenmo