3D Coat Forums
Roy

3D Print quality ?

Installed 3D COAT two days ago. Drew this up in solidworks. Saved to STL. Opened in Voxel Sculpting. Did some work. Now how can I save it for best possible 3D Print. Printing with a Formlabs Form 2 SLA printer. If I can get printable quality I'll be sold.

snip3.PNG

• Like 1

Lets try this. is this the best quality 3D Print i can expect from this software?  I cant buy if i cant get information,

print css.PNG

• Like 1

Well, best quality depends mostly on the printer you are using and a material you are printing with. With 3dcoat you can go with detail like 0,001mm I believe (at least Zbrush allowed me to print thing in titan with such accuracy, and I believe 3d coat is capable of bringing even more detailed sculpts).

Edited by Typhonart

printer will print .025. problem is i cant save .025 in 3d coat. it locks up the software. it locks up the software at .05. i7 with windows 10.

I have exported very, very fine detail from 3DCoat sculpted files printed with the Form 1 printer. Even at the scale of your object (which appears to be about 5 inches tall) you should easily be able to export at a resolution far higher than the Form 1 will physically resolve. 

Try this: resample your voxel object up to about 8-10 million polygons.  Convert from voxel to surface mode. Decimate by 75%-85% to reduce file size without affecting resolution much.  Export as obj or stl without any reduction.  Reduction during export can reduce resolution in an undesirable way. This should give you a very highly resolved object for printing.

• Like 1

Good to hear.  I really like both 3DCoat and the Form 1 they work well together.   I want to get the Form 2 too!

Good to have found this...

I tried this on a model I'm working on following this tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB7Ee7NNy_U

But when I export it from the layers menu as an stl, it does not get recognized bij cinema 4d, while exporting without the decimate trick opens flawlessly in cinema.

I does however open in Meshmixer.

Any thoughts on this?

Many thanks, Robert

Edited by Robert G

3 hours ago, Robert G said:

Good to have found this...

I tried this on a model I'm working on following this tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB7Ee7NNy_U

But when I export it from the layers menu as an stl, it does not get recognized bij cinema 4d, while exporting without the decimate trick opens flawlessly in cinema.

I does however open in Meshmixer.

Any thoughts on this?

Many thanks, Robert

In the Sculpt Workspace, make sure the layer is selected, then go to the GEOMETRY Menu > DECIMATE. Now, from the FILE Menu > Export Selected (choose STL as the file format).