3DCoat Forums

[Solved] UI Loss of Primatives Unacceptable

grampanda

As a new user, I created a Primitive then clicked on Live Clay. Bam!  The primitive disappeared. I should have Applied the Primative but this is not the point. It is very bad for software to do this.

1. Is there,  in the real world, an actual need to apply the primitive work?  Why not just keep it?  We can delete work we do not want.

2. if 1. is necessary, a dialog box should appear upon leaving Primitives. It should give the opportunity to Apply or Continue working on the primitives.

The very worst thing a program can do is destroy work.

Hi! Welcome. :)

To the point; If you don't apply the primitive, 3DC assumes you don't want to create it. It makes sense. I do agree however that a dialog would be good to have, if you leave the primitive tool. That said, any tweaks you've made to the primitive tool should still remain until you change it, or end the session. So you don't really lose any work.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

...and this applies to importing models, using Curves, or clicking on Models from the MODELS pallet. They are just temporary proxy objects until you hit the ENTER key or the APPLY button. Part of the reason for this is so the user can keep using the Primitive to create multiple instances quickly and place them on separate layers, if they want

Thank you Javis and AbnRanger!  Better get a dialog in there or you will be hearing more squawks from upset newbies!  Seriously, a new users first contact with a software is the UI.  Our impression is formed by how friendly it is.  I realize the activity is mostly around correcting bugs and adding new features but I would like 3D-Coat to delight people with the user interface as well.

• Like 1

Tony, If you need an idiot to help with idiot-proofing I will be glad to volunteer.  I have done some work with UIs in VBA for Excel and I know how hard it is to account for user mistakes and also provide good visual feedback, ease of operation, consistant operation, etc - all while developing the heavy lifting of the program.  I am in awe at the genius behind 3D-Coat and also respect for users and geniouses alike.  Would it be helpful to compile a file of low tech things that need correction when there time for such?  These simple corrections would put a big smile on the grampanda.