3DCoat Forums

EchoForm's Hard Surface Mech Journey

echoform

Posting recent progress on learning how to use 3D Coat for clean hard surface models.  Still have a long way to go to attain my goal of creating reasonable size meshes that are clean to be used for 3D concept art.  Any suggestions how to keep triangle count low and still get clean surfaces are welcome.  Will continue to update this post as I create more work.  Thank you for looking!

mech_01.jpgmech_02.jpgmech_03.jpgmech_04.jpgmech_05.jpgmech_06.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MechChicken said:

These are a nice set of practice models. To answer the question, I think it's the other way around. When you make clean meshes, the lower triangle count will follow (unless you don't follow your own flow during retopo).

Yes.  I agree.  Sorry for not being clear, but what I meant was how to keep the mesh looking clean while not having to subdivide so much during sculpting.  I'm trying to see how far I can take that approach without retopo.  Seems like I can't edit my posts to clarify this on the original post.  Overall, I like the flexibility of 3D-Coat a lot. :)

1 hour ago, Carlosan said:

Are you working on surface or liveClay mode ?

I use both.  The problem I'm facing is when I cut geometry using the cut tool, you get a bunch of jagged edges at lower resolution.  It's easier when there's around 500k-2mil triangles.  But if you want to do a full figure, it'll be like 20-30million triangles which I feel is too heavy.  For a full body robot/character, how many triangles can 3D-Coat handle?  if 20-30 milliion triangles or more is acceptable, that would be great.  Thank you!

• 2 months later...

Nice tries on hard surface modeling! The first, especially, render has something very unique. This slightly painterly feel of the non reflective metallic materials on its surfaces is given very successfully. Also, the minimalist approach as to the colors of the objects is very well aimed. Would like to see further works...

• Like 1