3DCoat Forums

Octane subscription for $20/month

• Reputable Contributor
15 minutes ago, Carlosan said:

Hi !

Currently there is a Renderer Integration Survey where users can share their needs.

Yes, that's the one. After further thought, as exciting as it is to finally have plugin support for 3rd party renders in 3D Coat, it would probably be best to first focus on getting AMD's Pro Render fully integrated as the default Render engine (as a defacto replacement for the current one). It's a full-fledged, physically based GPU render, that is OpenCL based, so it can work on either an NVidia or AMD card. Octane is still CUDA/Nvidia only. Carrots is already working on the Renderman plugin, and it's pretty exciting, but it still requires a Renderman license. 

For me the big challenge is to have compatibility shaders in render room, not only visualization but real shader that can be easily shared with other app.

Linear display, LUT table... Interoperability with any other software used in the pipeline is therefore a prerequisite. ;)

• Reputable Contributor
2 minutes ago, Carlosan said:

For me the big challenge is to have compatibility shaders in render room, not only visualization but real shader that can be easily shared with other app.

Linear display, LUT table... Interoperability with any other software used in the pipeline is therefore a prerequisite. ;)

For now, I think it just uses a standard Renderman material...sort of like a VRay material. Not sure what the plans are for exporting or saving the material/render settings, so they can be used in other apps with the same render engine. But in fairness, even VRay doesn't quite allow such interoperability between apps. For example, I cannot export a 3ds Max scene with VRay Materials, lights and cameras into Modo and expect everything to translate over. You still pretty much have to set things up, manually, in each app. One can copy VRaymat files using some kind of technique, but you still have to set the scene up, yourself. There is no translator from one app to the other.