3DCoat Forums

Seemingly Buggy Spline Stroke Tool

lewis2e

I am having some really disappointing problems with the spline stroke tool, whereby I cannot figure out if I have a wrong setting somewhere, or if the tool itself is just really buggy.

I have modeled a car seat in the Sculpt room and have retopologised it in the Retopo room. I am now trying to add some simple stitching to the edges of the shape using the Spline Stroke draw mode from the E-panel.

I am have two problems shown in the attached Gifs. 

Problem 1 is that spline points placed close to the edge of the model sometimes just go through the model entirely and stick to the bit of the model behind it. I don't know why this happens, but it is really annoying.

Problem 2 is that, even when I manage to get the spline points in roughly the area that I want them to be, the actual stroke drawn when I git enter is no where near the actual spline I have drawn. The Spline itself seems to be drawn inside the geometry, rather than sticking to the surface as you would expect.

Can anyone see if I am doing something wrong here? I downloaded Substance Painter in desperation and I can get pretty much what I want, but ideally I want to stick with 3D Coat if I can.

I can make the actual .3b file available if that is helpful.

SpineTool1.gif

SpineTool2.gif

1 hour ago, digman said:

Yes, sharing the 3DC file would be helpful in looking at the problem...

What version of 3DC are you using?

Hi - thanks for the reply. I am using 3D Coat 4.7.26A GL64. I have made the file available here but, just as a bit of warning, it is ~65M in size.

13 minutes ago, Carlosan said:

Hi

The command option Ignore Back Faces is = ON ?

IgnoreBackFaces.jpg

Hi - thanks also for the reply. Yes, I have Ignore Back Faces turned on.

Just now, Carlosan said:

I cant reproduce this issue, sorry.

It's OK, I think I have worked around it by copying my objects to a new file.... Not sure what exactly was going on with that file, but I can work with this...

There was something screwed up about that file, as the Retopo geometry was also not showing for me, and all further Autopo operations were failing silently... I guess it may have been corrupted.

I am getting expected behavior with a new file (spline sticking to surface properly etc.), so I am happy.

Thanks for the efforts to resolve this though, I greatly appreciate it the support on these forums.

Actually, just to add a little more detail on the new problem I mentioned in my last post, the problem seems to be symmetry. Even in my brand new file, symmetry breaks Autopo for me.

If I turn on symmetry, and click "Pick from Bound Box" (as my object is off centre), then Autopo completely fails. No error, no geometry.

If I turn off symmetry, I get perfect Autopo.

Bug?

Edited by lewis2e

• Reputable Contributor

It appears the file did get corrupted... I was able to fix the symmetry issue on the Chair but the head rest is a no go. Everthing is working correctly but if  you clone the surface mode chair and then convert it to voxel mode the symmetry will break again.

I ran Autopo. The retopo mesh has perfect symmetry but does have less polygons. 

There is a stand-in head rest to just make sure the autopo was working for the headrest. You could use the stand in to recreate the head rest.  In the retopo room delete the retopo mesh for the head-set because it will not be needed.

I also removed the paint room model.

In 3DC is very important to always keep a track of your symmetry. Once it gets off it can be fixed but each case is different. I go through several methods to fix them but it is too much to type or go over in a thread.

I am sent you a link in a pm for the download of the fixed 3DC file... It is up to you to use it or not.. NP either way. 

P.S I forgot to rename the head rest layer in the sculpt and retopo room. This you can correct...

My 3DC version, beta 4.7.26

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, digman said:

It appears the file did get corrupted... I was able to fix the symmetry issue on the Chair but the head rest is a no go. Everthing is working correctly but if  you clone the surface mode chair and then convert it to voxel mode the symmetry will break again.

I ran Autopo. The retopo mesh has perfect symmetry but does have less polygons.

There is a stand-in head rest to just make sure the autopo was working for the headrest. You could use the stand in to recreate the head rest.  In the retopo room delete the retopo mesh for the head-set because it will not be needed.

I also removed the paint room model.

In 3DC is very important to always keep a track of your symmetry. Once it gets off it can be fixed but each case is different. I go through several methods to fix them but it is too much to type or go over in a thread.

I am sent you a link in a pm for the download of the fixed 3DC file... It is up to you to use it or not.. NP either way. 

P.S I forgot to rename the head rest layer in the sculpt and retopo room. This you can correct...

My 3DC version, beta 4.7.26

Wow! Thank you! I can't believe you went to all that effort. I will definitely be able to salvage my work from that, thank you.

Yeah I have lots of questions on 3DC symmetry to be honest. It doesn't work (in terms of Global and Local space) how I would expect. The symmetry point of the chair is off center here because I wanted to mirror it once I was happy with it to make the other chair. I can see that I am probably best just doing that in Blender.

Doing some digging to properly understand 3DC symmetry is "on my list" for when I have time.