3DCoat Forums

Ambient occlusion not occluding gloss/metalness

pr1970

Hey All,

I have an AO layer aswell as color, metalness and roughness layers below. I would like the AO layer to occlude the specular shine from the metalness/roughness. It works for the color but am I missing something as i cant find anywhere how to do the same for roughness/metalness to stop it being shiny in the dark areas of the AO map?

Thanks in advance.

• Reputable Contributor

Yeah, sometimes it takes a while to get an question answered by volunteer helpers at the fourm. Sometimes we miss a post or busy with our own work. Plus at times I have to go do life duties for a month or so. 

In the PBR workflow, AO does not block the metallic or the roughness. That should be taken care of with your Metallic and roughness maps...

Generally AO is not required for PBR rendering as it introduces baked lighting into the texture.  It can be used with artistic discretion of course. 

Some smart materials require a AO to be generated when " more on lit or more on shadow" are used as one of the conditions but you do not have to export it unless it is needed...

Edited by digman
  • Like 2