3DCoat Forums

Painting strokes, half of them don't appear.

Hi everyone, I recently got the Jama Jurabaev 360 painting in 3D Coat tutorial, but I cant seem to be able to draw in 3DCoat like he does. What happens is I set up the scene correctly, with the grid and sphere and start drawing but half my strokes only show half the stroke or don't appear at all, Its literally every 2-3 strokes don't appear. Makes it impossible to do anything, anyone know why this is happening?

BTW, i'm on the latest OSX, using the latest version of 3DCoat beta. I took a short video of what is happening, attached. I did some slower strokes at the start which seem ok, but actually half the time those don't work either, then later you see the longer strokes Im doing and half of them won't even appear. As you see the video, you see the cursor point moving around and its only making stokes half the time but just so you know I was keeping the pen down drawing almost the whole time unless it was just picking up to start the next stroke, so youll see alot of pen movement with no strokes, and that's the problem. It's literally unusable at this point so any solutions would be very helpful. Thanks!

-Jason

3dcoatstrokes.mp4

(if you dont wanna download the vid, you can stream it from my dropbox here)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x47kobj0ferqx1f/3dcoatstrokes.mp4?dl=0

• Reputable Contributor

Working on my end... Windows beta 4.7.29

I use his default painting scene with the sphere (Painting_Template.3b) and set the grid correctly like you. 

As a test, can you paint on his interior spaceship scene with no problems?

If you use Skype and have a mic I would be happy to help to see if your problem can be solved.  Send me a pm if interested. This is a fun art style to explore.

Edited by digman

Carlosan - thanks, good suggestion, unfortunately didnt work, :-(

digman - cool, yeah Ill send you a PM.

As it turns out its a Mac related problem.I installed it onmy Cintiq Companion which is windows based and it works great. But I pefer to work on my bitter cintiq 21ux which I use for my job. But even using Jama's scenes, it has the same problems. I dont think its a wacom driver problem either as I tried it using a friends ipad and apple pencil, controlling my iMac as a remote tablet via Astropad. And I also tried the same setup with Photoshop with a real high res fine and its had no problems with strokes, only in 3D coat, so weird......

• Reputable Contributor

It is possible on your Mac version, you were outside the sphere. The effect I see in the video is the same I get if I am outside the sphere... He does go quickly through the part where you have to be using rotate around world center and about zooming in till the small axis cursor inlarges and then disappears from view. Then we know we are in world center.

Not saying that happen on the Mac version but was possible... 

• 2 weeks later...

Talked with this over skype but for others to see.....seems to definitely be a MAC problem. I did check if I was outside the sphere too and it wasnt, so thats not the issue, more experimenting there. But as for the MAC issue I installed it on bootcamp runnign Windows 7 and it worked just fine like on my cintiq, so thats why I feel its MAC related for sure.