3DCoat Forums

Curves with custom made splines

MechChicken

I created a hard surface part, dragged it to the Splines library, then used it with Curves.

OQiQ0RF.jpg

From left to right:

With 2 red dots; with 2 red dots twice the length; with 3 dots twice the length of the second; with 8 dots

So from what I can see here, 3DC seems to only account the start and end dots to calculate squeeze or stretch, and ignore intermediate dots.

Is there a way to 'tell' 3DC to always repect the original dimensions of the spline shape, and basically not affect that shape in any way?

Thanks.

Is there a way to 'tell' 3DC to always respect the original dimensions of the spline shape, and basically not affect that shape in any way? 

Its not possible at this moment, sorry.

• Reputable Contributor

You mean creating a spline object, then making something like this...  Maybe I am misunderstanding.

The second copper object, can not of course bend like a chain, so I bent certain parts using the move function to create a more realistic effect. 

The move function in the curves panel can move the point up and down through the chain as well moving it in 3DC space. I moved the points I wanted and adjusted the bending in those areas.

A solid copper item like that would bent according to the force applied in those areas...

For these type of objects I also chose "disconnected line"

Side note: Look in my first image... Lower right side... The control point is in the wrong location on that one part so it has squeezed the spline part there. I fixed it before applying the curve and I adjusted some others. This was done using the move feature as I mention. Sometimes you have to delete a few points or add them plus maybe adjust them with the move tool. 

Capture90.JPG

Capture91.JPG

copper.JPG

splines.JPG

setting.JPG

Edited by digman
adding information

@Carlosan @dimitribastos Ok thanks; yes it would be a great and powerful feature, because then it can be used as an array tool as well, which would not affect the original dimensions of the spline object, but only everything else, like the spacing, the size, the frequency (number of objects within a certain dot-to-dot length).

@digman that is currently the only way, but for anything that is not similar to a real life chain, it would become a bit messy with moving each dot one by one, for both the way the curve to be like you wish, and in my case, keeping the stretch/squeeze of the spline objects to a minimum.

• Reputable Contributor

@MechChicken.. I do not get your type of stretching/squeezing you are having as shown in your first picture.  The amount or distance between points makes no differences in the scale, size of the spline. Now bending will be produce warping in that bend area. Whether I choose disconnected line or not.  Still maybe I am missing something here...  of course if I put a lot of points close together I get overlap. Please help me understand. 

Could you if possible upload the curve, saving from the curve panel  and the original spline object. I would like to have them to understand better.

4.7.29 beta.

23.jpg

Edited by digman