3DCoat Forums

Retopo on a mac is 20x faster than on a PC

andre3000

I am using the demo for now, still evaluating and I have two computers with strikingly different performances and was wondering why that is.

The PC is an old i920, the Mac is a brand new 6700HQ at 2.6Ghz, geekbench tests the PC at 2x slower than the mac.

When I run retopo on the same file the PC will take an hour or two, the mac will take about 5 minutes, that's way more than 2x. Monitor on the mac shows 360% usage (4 cores nearly maxed out) whereas the PC shows 14% with spikes at 50%.

Any way to fix that?

DX versions only work in Windows and are optimized for consumer level graphics cards (Geforce), OGL version is faster on professional Quadro cards or Radeon.

So unless you have a Quadro, in PC DX version is likely to be better suited to the hardware.

2 hours ago, Carlosan said:

DX versions only work in Windows and are optimized for consumer level graphics cards (Geforce), OGL version is faster on professional Quadro cards or Radeon.

So unless you have a Quadro, in PC DX version is likely to be better suited to the hardware.

You're talking about graphics API and I'm talking about core usage for retopo.

26 minutes ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

In one of beta versions it was so. But in 29 build all should be quick.

I tested in both .24 and beta .29 and it's as slow compared to mac. Do you use SSE 5? the i7 920 is limited to SSE 4.2 and maybe that's why? I have 12GB on the pc and it's not running out https://ark.intel.com/products/37147/Intel-Core-i7-920-Processor-8M-Cache-2_66-GHz-4_80-GTs-Intel-QPI

It's also very slow at resizing the window, running on a gtx 970 though...

Edited by andre3000