3DCoat Forums

mesh does not match to exported mesh ( polygon numbers)

Aleksey

• Advanced Member

I export a mesh from cinema 4d, fbx, open it, uv map it, export it back as fbx, open it in cinema. Now this mesh it properly uv'ed but i can't apply the uv map to my existing mesh, because the polygon numbers dont match up. This wasnt an issue before :( not sure which version broke it. 

also i notice it welds overlapping points, since less points come back in then there where. but welding beforehand doesn't solve the issue either. 

Edited by Aleksey

• Advanced Member

having same problem with another mesh. 

here is screens shot. on the left is original mesh, on right is mesh i brought back in from 3d coat. I copied the uv tag to old mesh. and this is what i got.. 

hpv3UsD.png

• Advanced Member

it was off, tried it with it turned on, same issue. :(

these are my export settings ( they look different from yours)

Gu71CWN.png

I think it was working until this preset stuff was added. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Reputable Contributor

Ok a couple of things here and then try a test.

Why are you applying the uv set. You already have one created using the method you chose. There is no need to update the uv set as the object that also resides in the paint room has the same uv set.  This could be causing a problem.

Test this: Once you have your object in the UV as shown in the video, do not apply UV set.

Now return to the paint room and under the Textures window choose "Export UV". This will be a simple FBX export without textures but includes the UV set you just created.

Load this model into Cinema 4D and see if the fbx model imports with no problems and you can do your further work... 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

another text is return to the paint room and use the export panel, choose low-polygon mesh and source positions. Same method as above also not applying uv set in the UV room.  

The above is not saying it will work but a test.

Also you could try the more simple obj format exporting from Cinema 4D as a test also using the above methods.

Edited by digman

• Advanced Member

i press apply, because ussually i would actually go through and make a uv unwrap. not just use the default. 

I will try obj again, but im pretty sure i tried it already. 

i will also try exporting from paint room. 

thanks.

• Reputable Contributor

Got it... Another test if you care to do it but I sure you will hear back from Andrew at some time.

Import as a reference mesh. Then import the same model as your retopo mesh in the retopo room, Do all your seam creation and unwrapping.

Export the model directly out of the retopo room under the retopo menu once you have it completed.

I am in these test only trying to narrow down if possible the cause of your problem... something is going on for sure.

• Advanced Member

export res was already set to "low poly" as seen in the video

obj didnt help. 

tried exporting "export uvs" from paint room, didn't help either. 

still havent heard from andrew. 

---

I imported as reference mesh, but cant get it to the UV room. The frustrating this is this used to work just fine. I even made a tutorial about it :))

I need this to work, because i sometimes have rigs and stuff already set up on a mesh, and i just need to place the UV tags onto it. 

Edited by Aleksey

• 2 weeks later...