3DCoat Forums

First night with the Oculus Rift

• Reputable Contributor

First, from an artist view, not a gamer view.  Not a dig on gaming, I gamed till my eyes fell out... Combat flight simulations, my record 24 hours straight. My fellow friend pilots came back on and said "What you never stopped flying" you a crazy pilot... I was and a good crazy one... knew all the tricks in the book for combat flight sims. Oh but this is about my first night with the Rift... :rolleyes:

Sculpting in Medium is a blast and wild... Standing up, you may be seated of course, with your sculpt with you in 3D vitural space, turning it around as you work on it, like being in a studio with your clay in front of you.

LOL, I scaled the model to 10 feet tall by mistake. Final figured out how to shrink it... 

You can export your models in obj or fbx format plus import models as well that you start in 3DC.

Quill. 2D painting but your canvas is the virtual space around you. that is another wild one. I have not explored that much yet...

Viewing your own 360 degree painting created using 3DC in VR, being surrounded by it was great!  Jama Jurabaev figured out how to create 360 paintings using 3DC. I followed his tutorial. That was posted here a several days ago 

Sketchfab, Viewing models in VR... I looked at one of my few models there, a 50 styles space ship with a space station sitting on the asteroid. My little space ship when viewed in 2D is now 3 feet long, the station over 10 feet tall and the asteroid even bigger. That was awesome...  

End of first night with the Rift...

Edited by digman
Corrections
  • Like 4

• Contributor

Oh man, this sounds awesome. I didn't have a chance to try Oculus yet. Perhaps tomorrow - on a local tech show.
So you actually did try sculpting in 3DC with the helmet on your head? The experience must have been literally out of this world! :)

• Reputable Contributor
14 minutes ago, ajz3d said:

Oh man, this sounds awesome. I didn't have a chance to try Oculus yet. Perhaps tomorrow - on a local tech show.
So you actually did try sculpting in 3DC with the helmet on your head? The experience must have been literally out of this world! :)

It is great, a different visceral experience! but sadly not for 3DC at this time. Maybe one day in 3DC, a possible cut down version but for now "Medium" is the sculpting program provided free when you get the Rift with the touch controllers. The controllers are a must have, just like the Vive. 

Here is the link about creating a 360 degree painting in the paintroom. You export the image created which can be viewed either as a 360 image or in Virtual Reality where you are standing in the middle of your painting and can look all around.

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

• Contributor

Ah, sorry. I wasn't aware of this Medium program. I thought you were referring to Oculus as a new medium that allowed for a new type of experience in sculpting, ha ha. :p:

52 minutes ago, digman said:

Maybe one day in 3DC, a possible cut down version

Why a cut down version? Doesn't 3DC work out of the box with Oculus, with keyboard and tablet as standard inputs? Isn't Oculus treated by OS as another display device?

• Reputable Contributor

Cut down,just for sculpting. I have no idea what it would take to port all of 3DC over. Just thinking thoughts as 3DC sculpting tools are better than Medium's as 3DC is  a more matured program. 

I quess you could simulate a virtual keyboard and tablet... This is not AR but VR. 

You use the two "Touch" controllers. one in each hand and all the programs functions are at your disposal inside VR.  Certain buttons can bring up panels

Your virtual hands, can be shown as hands, or look like the controllers or just about anything you want.   All kind of functions can be mapped to the oontrollers.

In the first demo from Oculus  to learn your way around VR , you use virtual looking hands. You learn to hold things, grab. etc, etc. That room with the little robot  was awesome.  The regular world is gone and you are there. Now I know these are models created by artists, placed in a game engine with good atmospheric lighting, if anything as an artist it makes it even better. Imagine a whole room full of  your own created models and your walking about it not viewing through a monitor but walking among your creations...  Both Unreal and Unity have the ability to create VR inside the editor.  You do not have to build to a exe to see your  VR stuff.  Using Unreal you can buiid in VR as well. Untiy 5 has it too but might still be in the experimental stage.  

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Wow, thanks a lot... will have to check that out... 

Is virtual desktop at the Oculus Store, I will start looking too... :D

Edited by digman

• Reputable Contributor
21 hours ago, Michaelgdrs said:

Here you are , there was a free version some time ago , cant find it now though...

http://store.steampowered.com/app/382110/Virtual_Desktop/

Cool, I found it too but I still run Windows 7 so a no go for me but when I upgrade to the new computer, no problem.  

Two experiences I enjoyed was walking through a Van Gogh painting and going around the earth using Google Earth VR. 

Today I buy Tilt Brush by Google.

• Contributor

Tried almost everything with DK2 , i suggest to get some horror games..... one of them really got me , plus we also  made a similar one at Pixo for a client , one really really good with great realistic graphics.

What was the name of the game i got really scared.... aaaa AFFECTED!!!!

• Reputable Contributor

Setup Unreal for the use of VR in the editor. Not hard at all. Choose under experimental, The VR settings. 

I was standing in a terrain world that I had created several months ago and seeing the world you created around you, feeling it's scale, fantastic!

Also a great way just to view models in Virtual Reality created by 3DC viewed in a realtime PBR environment.

Next is setting up Unity...

Edited by digman

• Contributor

I had a pleasure of testing Oculus Rift out on Saturday at Polish-Japanese Academy of Information Technology during the Long Night of Museums. Everyone was given about 3 minutes time to run around a fantasy world (which was a WIP student project done in UE4). The most satisfying moments were when I came in a close contact with some vegetation. The 3D effect really shined there, with bushes 1 feet away from me, partially obscuring my view, in contrast to the rest of the world in a background. Really cool feeling.
However I have noticed one problem with Rift. My field of vision wasn't 180+ degrees, so wasn't completely immersed in the game. In fact the field of view was limited to about the same angle as what can be observed in Google Cardboard clones. Is this normal in Oculus?

Anyway, later on I went to test out Microsoft's HoloLens. And holy cow! This thing is incredible.
On a small arena, I was playing a game in which small floating robots were coming out of holes in the walls. Immediately after flying out of said holes, robots spread out on a whole room and began firing their fireballs at me, and I had to dodge the shots while firing death rays from  my fingers!
Every single 3D object felt almost tangible, like it physically existed beside me. This was friggin' AWESOME!
Narrow field of view for lens that are responsible for presenting rendered objects was noticeable, but the fun factor was still absolutely amazing.

Edited by ajz3d

• Reputable Contributor

Both the Rift and Vive have 110 FOV... 

Google cardboard 90 FOV.

AR is a different animal as your field of view is normal human vision but the holoographic part of the viewing has it's own FOV problems. Link below.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/wearables/microsoft-hololens-1281834/review

I think it depends somewhat on the person, as what he favors, VR or AR.

I seen VR that just Wows me and others that are just so so.

When sculpting in Medium, Painting in Tilt Brush or Quill, I have the same feeling like they are real tangible objects, not viewing them but standing by them.

Also standing by one of my models in a game engine, same feeling. 

Google Earth VR, standing on a cliff face looking down across a vast visa...

• Like 1