3DCoat Forums

Shimmering/Pixellated Materials in Paint Mode?

trojanfoe

Hi there, I am getting a strange effect in paint mode where the materials applied to the layers is shimming with pixels, which looks like a rendering error.

See this video (about 64MB).

I am using 3D-Coat 4.7.29 under Windows 10 with 32GB Ram and a GTX1060 with 6GB Ram.

Also the .3b file is 4.8GB in size after retopo and baking (I baked an 8K normal map)!  This is strange as when I imported the base model, using the same voxel density, it was 18MB in size.  There are only about 3.4 million polygons in the base vox layer and my sculpting didn't add very much.

Any advice much appreciated.

• Reputable Contributor

Did you turn off Show Voxels in the Paint room under the View menu?.

If you can share the 3DC file before baking for others to check out the possible cause of the larger increase in file size. 8K does take a lot of memory and I do not know how many 8k layers you have.

You can send me a pm for the link to the 3DC file if you post it on a server. That way your file stays private and when I am done testing, I delete from my hard drive.

Yes "Show Voxels in the Paint room" was turned off.

I think I've lost the .3b file from before painting; the backup file in Documents\3DCoat47\UserData (from memory) is also 4.8GB or so.  I could probably attempt to start again and send you what I had before baking and without additional sculpting?

I have about 14 layers.

• Advanced Member
23 hours ago, digman said:

Did you turn off Show Voxels in the Paint room under the View menu?.

If you can share the 3DC file before baking for others to check out the possible cause of the larger increase in file size. 8K does take a lot of memory and I do not know how many 8k layers you have.

You can send me a pm for the link to the 3DC file if you post it on a server. That way your file stays private and when I am done testing, I delete from my hard drive.

On the topic of large 3DC files I too have noticed the files can get very large. I work with 1k and 2k textures and imported all my normal maps/models into the paint room (did not use any of the other rooms for this particular file). The file size is about 4.5 GB's as of now. I'm not concerned so much about file size as I am the load times. It usually takes anywhere from 5-7 mins right now when I load the file. Sometimes turning layers on and off can be a bit sluggish too. I am just assuming it is a lot for the program to handle to every action will take longer and longer to do.

• Reputable Contributor

The below is not saying optimizing could not improve the below, just giving my thoughts...

Testbed:

Default Robot imported for PPP only.

I believe Smart materials take a lot of memory too as you have Albedo, Roughness and Metallic plus the number of layers you have in a Smart Material some that use a texture. They have to be stored somewhere. How those are stored in a 3DC file, I do not have a idea. That would be a question for Andrew.

The higher your texture Resolution the more memory required as you know that already.

I did a test... A 15 layer 3DC file. 12 filled with the same smart material. The remaining were the Normal, Curvature and A0 maps.

The 12 layers were filled with a smart material that had several layers in the Smart Material and a number of textures used in the  Smart Material layer slots.

4096 texture Resolution.

I have not tested without using a Smart Material.

The saved 3DC file was 1.58 gig which took "42" seconds to load

Again just giving my thoughts and 3DC always has a large file save sizes. I do not fault 3DC for this, as 3D tech keeps advancing at a fast pace and sometimes a small developer lags some before they can catch up, my opinion here.

Edited by digman
Corrections
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member
15 minutes ago, digman said:

Again just giving my thoughts and 3DC always has a large file save sizes. I do not fault 3DC for this, as 3D tech keeps advancing at a fast pace and sometimes a small developer lags some before they can catch up, my opinion here.

3D Coat can only improve from here on forward in time and its already a really awesome program I cannot part with. Sure my file load times can be pretty long but I'm willing to deal with that if it means I can make the type of 3D Models that would have taken far longer to create with less 3D Paint friendly tools than what 3DC has. Optimization is always a welcome thing though, means faster workflow and less wait times between files.