3DCoat Forums

problem with fbx normal map

gswartz

I retopod this mesh and exported as an fbx.  When I open the fbx in modo there are few areas like the attached image.  If I delete the fbx normal map in modo the errors go away, so I'm assuming it's an issue when exporting the fbx.  Is this something I can fix within 3d coat?  If so, how?  Thanks.

normal-problem.jpg

15 minutes ago, Carlosan said:

Where was the normal map generated ?

The fbx file is right out of 3d coat opened in modo.  If I tell modo to not load the normals when opening it, then I don't have the problem.  But I don't know if I need to have that normal map and if so, how to fix those areas.

Do you used Retopo Room > retopo > export ?

I'm sorry, but I do not understand why you get a normal map exported if you just export a retopo mesh.

If the nomal map was generated before, you need to bake the high poly mesh to low polymesh maps again to change the RGB representation de normals vector to the new geometry

21 minutes ago, Carlosan said:

Do you used Retopo Room > retopo > export ?

I'm sorry, but I do not understand why you get a normal map exported if you just export a retopo mesh.

If the nomal map was generated before, you need to bake the high poly mesh to low polymesh maps again to change the RGB representation de normals vector to the new geometry

Yes, that is exactly how I export.  I don't have a normal map inside 3dcoat since I built this model from scratch using the retopo tools and then just did the retopo>export as fbx.

• Reputable Contributor

Your terminology is unclear.  I do not have Modo but that appears to be a import setting. Modo is asking if you want the FBX normals of the model to be adjusted. Telling Modo to leave them as is and not adjust them is fine if the model imports correctly.

Or you are telling Modo to import a true normal map when there is none...

From your wording you said do not have a normal map as you exported directly from the retopo room. To have a normal map you would need to bake the retopo mesh to the paint room as Carlosan explained. You could of course could have baked the normal map in Modo.

A picture of a simple normal map... a temple wall. 

normal.jpg

Edited by digman

FWIW, when you export FBX out of 3DC, it automatically creates a vertex normal map. If you don't need it you can just delete it in whatever application you're using. Luckily Modo has easy access to this kind of stuff. So you can just delete it like Carlos says, and no harm will come to your mesh. It's not entirely necessary. That said, if you do need vertex normals, I would just create the map in Modo anyway for more precise placement of hard/soft edges of the vertex normal map.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2017 at 0:04 PM, Carlosan said:

You need to bake the normal map again in your preferred app.
Is a issue related to modo.

FBXNormals.jpg

That's what I wasn't sure of.  If I open the fbx in modo and untick the "Import Normals" option then that Other Maps map is not created and I don't see those errors... however I wasn't sure if that map was needed.  I'm assuming it's not so it's safe to remove.  I'll give it a try, thanks.

• Like 1