3DCoat Forums

3DC Multi threaded?

andre3000

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

3DCoat is essentially multithreaded, so cores will speed up.

Intel is better because Intel TBB library used for multithreading, so on Intel it works faster anyway.

Andrew, we need some option for AMD CPU's because they finally caught up to Intel in a big way. Their Ryzen 7 1700X/1800X chips beat Intel's $1000 CPU, 6900k, in many benchmarks....and costs 1/3 that price. So, for the average user, AMD makes a ton of sense. I've been waiting on this chip for over a year now, and it's highly disappointing to know it is going to be hamstrung in 3D Coat because Intel is favored over AMD.

I have been using an i7 970 for the past 4yrs waiting to upgrade when Intel decided to offer something worth upgrading to, that was reasonably priced. They haven't. AMD stepped up this time. Maybe parallelized code can be recompiled to OpenCL so it not only is GPU accelerated, but is brand agnostic?

https://developer.amd.com/wordpress/media/2012/10/OpenCL_Parallel_Computing_for_CPUs_and_GPUs_201003.pdf

• Like 2

• Reputable Contributor
Just now, andre3000 said:

Same generation as my 920, What do you see in the task manager when retopo or computing AO?

AO uses the GPU for computation. And some tasks, such as Retopo work, is single-threaded, because not everything can be executed in parallel (multi-threaded).

Just now, AbnRanger said:

AO uses the GPU for computation. And some tasks, such as Retopo work, is single-threaded, because not everything can be executed in parallel (multi-threaded).

So having more core would not benefit these two very intensive tasks.

I see that voxel sculpting lights up half my cores only. I read in another thread that 3DC only uses 50% of the cpu.

• Reputable Contributor
29 minutes ago, andre3000 said:

So having more core would not benefit these two very intensive tasks.

I see that voxel sculpting lights up half my cores only. I read in another thread that 3DC only uses 50% of the cpu.

Retopo work isn't all that calculation intensive. Pushing or painting thousands of polygons at the same time...that is, and it's why it's multi-threaded. Some users think something is wrong with 3D Coat when their cores are maxed out and others assume something is wrong when they aren't. If you are using the CUDA version and have an NVidia card, using the Voxel Brushes invokes CUDA, so why would the CPU cores be maxed out if your graphics card is doing the heavy lifting?

Most of the app is multi-threaded, but not every task can benefit from Multi-threading. It's that way in every 3D app.

• 2 weeks later...

Threadripper is coming out.  I think AMD is making a very strong comeback and my next few machines I use in my mini office will be AMD chips. Please support.  Just recently some games got a 30% boost in performance after optimizing the games for AMD chips.  I like to see that with 3DCoat.

• Advanced Member

Not wanting or wishing to hijack this thread...If one does go the AMD Ryzen route what video card Nvidia or AMD's own ATI line of graphic cards? Also as far as I know AMD/ATI  do not support CUDA.  AMD also have a few 6 core Ryzens which maybe more bang for the buck. Of course Intel has the future R9.

Kind of reminds me of the old 1960s Muscle car wars Chevy vs Ford vs Dodge. One year it's Chevy, next year Ford or Dodge...