3DCoat Forums

export voxel model with shaders

chr1

I am not a new user, but I have only ever used 3DCoat for creation of physical objects, and so I am only familiar with the voxel and render rooms. I am hoping that someone can tell me if it is possible to export a voxel model with the color of their shaders included.

I have a workflow for doing this by importing the objects into Blender, and adjusting the material color there, but I am hoping there is a simple way to do this directly from 3DCoat.

I apologize if this is the wrong place to pose such a question. Thanks for your help!

Are you using the latest version ?

No is not posible in voxel mode. You need to do retopology of the model and bake the shader to textures -retopo room- (only the PBR shaders are bakeables)

Another way is to change to Surface mode, switch to paint room and fill or paint vertex colors (polypainting) the models using smart materials.

Vertex colors are supported in PLY import/export. To render vertex paint meshes in blender Cycles use this workflow.

- You should plug your vertex colors into the color input of your shader.

1. With your object selected, add a new material:

enter image description here

1. Create a meaningful name for the new material. Next, open a node editor window. One way to do this is to create a new UI window by dragging up the triangle in the bottom-left of an existing widow:

You can change the type of your new window with the button on the bottom-left -- select "Node Editor"

1. You have to type the name of your vertex color layer into the Attribute node. The default name is Col:

You can check the name of vertex color layer in the Vertex Color section of the Object Data tab in the Properties panel: