3DCoat Forums

AMD's New Dual-Socket 64 Core / 128 Threads EPYC CPUs

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-epyc-vega-frontier-edition,34588.html

o_rJHVNXh0lBwrhzbRhvNrxakOqZy7cw.jpg,

EPYC has 32 Cores / 64 Threads per chip.

A typical dual-socket EPYC system will thus feature 64 Cores / 128 Threads in one machine, as well as up to 4TB Memory and massive I/O Bandwidth.

Combining two of the processors into a two-socket server yields 64C/128T that supports up to 4TB of memory and exposes 128 PCIe lanes to the host. Each processor provides 128 lanes for a total of 256 lanes, but 128 are used for the Infinity Fabric connection between the two processors. AMD claims this setup provides 45% more cores, 122% more memory bandwidth and 60% more I/O capabilities than competing two-socket Intel servers.

• Reputable Contributor

I suspect AMD acted like they were giving up competing with Intel for the high-end CPU market, 4-5yrs ago. They actually stated that publicly, per their former CEO. That lulled Intel to sleep and it seems that lull allowed AMD to catch them napping. Cause they have delivered a solid 3 punch combination with Ryzen 7, ThreadRipper and now the EPYC chips. Will probably knock Intel to the canvas for at least the next few months. :D

• Reputable Contributor
14 hours ago, Nossgrr said:

I'm just happy AMD is still in the race or Intel would jack up their prices sky high.. 

And also.. The new AMD offerings do look pretty damn good :)

I have been waiting for this CPU, and finally upgraded this past week. So happy with it. With the most recent Bios updates, I'm able to run the full 3200mhz my RAM is rated at, without having to spend a bunch more on the "Ryzen 7 certified" modules. Only able to get the 1700X up to 3.9ghz, stably, but sometimes you win the "silicon lottery" and sometimes you don't. It's still really fast. Boot's up in a fraction of the time, now.

For what Intel was charging for their most comparable CPU ($1100 USD for the 6900k), a person can buy a Ryzen 1700/1700X + Motherboard + 32-64GB RAM + Highend Liquid CPU Cooler....and still have some cash left over. It was a no brainer.  Intel has had to have lost a bunch of market share over this, and rightfully so. I won't be buying anything from them for a long time.

• Advanced Member

And in my next computer there's not going to be any air being blown into my computer case by fans. Water cooling with the fans off loaded to external units like this;

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/thermaltake-rgb-cooling-computex,34728.html

]QuOgLff.jpg

I don't want any dust being sucked into my case. Airborne diesel grit in particular is unacceptable; that shit settles on electronics and it's sticky and can't be blown off. It's death to circuitboards. 

• Like 2