3DCoat Forums

Dealing with sculpt triangulation patterns

David O'Neil

Does anyone have pointers on dealing with the patterns left when sculpting (in both Voxel and Surface modes) by the triangulation routine used in 3D Coat?  I have tried many things, but not the right thing, evidently.  I've circled two areas which are more noticeable, but it is everywhere in the attached PNG.  This was made in Voxel mode, just dragging out with the Clay brush.  I did increase the density to 4x.  Any increase seems to aggravate the problem.

The only thing I've found to do is export an OBJ to ZBrush, smooth it there, then it looks good when brought back in.  But an in-program option would be much better!

Thanks,

David

patterns.png

Edited by David O'Neil
Add ZBrush solution

All I did was go to the sculpt room, make the sphere, draw on it, increase the resolution, and apply the gold shader. Once I went through the steps with a model to create the maps, and upon opening in Blender I saw the same pattern there in the render.  I don't recall playing around with lightmaps.

• Reputable Contributor

The cavity setting in the shader causes what you see. That is how it works... I know when these were first put into 3DC, I had the same question but that is how the cavity setting works.

Right click on the shader and edit the shader cavity setting either permanently or temporarily. 

I tend not to use shaders that have a cavity setting either by turning it off or creating my own shader for sculpting...

I just find the cavity setting distracting but some artist like them, so it is a artist call. 

Easy to create your own shaders without the use of cavity shown in picture

For sculpting I use a clay color type shader.  The other picture show my two that I created and like.

Capture6789.JPG

Capture00.JPG

Edited by digman
  • Like 2