3DCoat Forums

Decals getting cut off or stretched

askiba85

Hello, I'm trying to apply decals to a model and they simply get cropped where the camera does not see. If I uncheck Ignore back faces then they get stretched where the camera does not see on the model, how can I simply apply decals to a model, like applying a small band-aid around a finger? 

• Contributor

Either find a good camera angle to use with camera projection or, if you want to do something extreme, like wrapping a decal 359-degrees around a cylinder, or some other surface with parts invisible for the viewport camera, you might try one of these workarounds:

• Use UV-Mapping projection instead of a camera one, fill the whole layer and then delete all unwanted decal repetitions. However UV-Mapping may result in a distorted texture if you have distorted UVs.
  • You also have Spline Image Tool at your disposal, but it doesn't look like it supports Smart Materials. However, if you're creating non-PBR textures, it might do the trick. Personally, I've never used it so I can't say much about it.

I am just using brush alphas, importing a PNG image and then using the stamp drag mode. Is it possible to use UV mapping projection with that instead of Smart Materials? It's difficult to place the decal where I want unless I'm using the brush tool to place it.

• Contributor

I'm sorry, but according to my experience, brush alphas won't wrap around the mesh because painting with a brush is camera-based.

But hey! Have you tried painting over Texture Editor (Textures->Texture UV Editor)? If you have UVs set up correctly, you might pull it off. :)

Edited by ajz3d

• Contributor

Unless someone will chime in with a better solution, if you insist on using brush alphas to paint decals, then probably the best solution would be to redo your UVs with the decals in mind..:(

Or paint from two opposite sides and try to blend the seam.

Edited by ajz3d