3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Sketch Tool Questions

bododge

2 Questions about Sketch Tool in 3D coat. I'm using 4.7 stable and 4.73 beta on a 2013 Mac pro, 10.10.2 and coming up with these two problems. (and same problems in older versions)

I see some awesome videos of people using the sketch tool online and they are getting live interaction with geometry results instantly visible. Even the how-to tip mentions that you start with a cube because all sides are filled. When I go to use the sketch tool, I do not see the 3D cube or other resulting geometry unless I first hit "apply". That is a frustrating difference, is there some setting I need to change to see the geometry ahead of hitting apply?

When I am in the sketch tool the camera will not orbit around the center object, but instead makes wide swings, making it very frustrating trying to rotate to each axis. What is the deal there? As soon as I switch to a different modeling tool the camera issue goes away. I have tried adjusting navigating preferences, and I don't see any difference in the behavior, and as I've said when I'm on any other tool the camera nav feels normal and fine, but just in sketch mode it is very strange and hard to navigate. Something I can do to fix? I'm going to make a short screen capture and attach so you can see the behavior. Please help! Thanks

sketch behavior.mp4

Can you link me to the GL Version? When I look at the beta download, or the main download page, only one version is offered for OSX. ( I don't see it for Windows, Linux either)  I found some old posts talking about GL, C, S ,DX verisons, but I don't find those links anywhere. The video driver is as up to date as the OSX is 10.10.2 Apple doesn't release video drivers, they are built into the OS. I have a second mac pro 2012 computer with Nvidia cards, same issues there, and up-to-date drivers from Nvidia there also. If I am supposed to be using different versions for each, I would love to find those links. Edit: Maybe .exe versions come with multiple launch files, but the Mac version just has one. I don't which version is under the hood.

One other thought, I remember when I first bought 3D coat asking some questions, and being told Cuda features weren't implemented on mac builds.

Thanks,

Edited by bododge

macOS [4.7.32]:

http://www.3d-coat.com/~sergyi/3D-CoatV4-7-32.dmg

Ensure to check "System Preferences > Security & Privacy > click the "lock" > select "App Store and identified developers" (when only "App Store" is selected error message is displayed "3D-Coat" can't be opened because it was not downloaded from the App Store)

On "Retina" displays uncheck "3D-Coat > Geometry > Incremental Render"

18 hours ago, bododge said:

Maybe .exe versions come with multiple launch files, but the Mac version just has one. I don't which version is under the hood.

There's is only a GL version for macOS, DX is windows only, and CUDA is not implemented in the Mac version because apple only sell AMD card ATM.

Tons of Mac users have Nvidia cards by the way. People who are into CG modeling are usually also into rendering, so tons of us have Nvidia cards and Cuda capable renderers, C4D Octane, Redshift, etc.. I have felt like the Mac users are left with a pretty buggy and unstable version overall. I wish I could say it was the Nvidia open GL drivers  fault and it worked nicely otherwise, but it doesn't matter if I am using Dual DX500s on the trashcan Mac, or Dual Titan Xs on the 2012 mac Pro, I get a lot of crashes. I wish they would implement Cuda features for Mac.

Back to the two topic question, shouldn't the sketch tool have geometry previews even on the Mac, and why does the camera not orbit around object null during Sketch tool? Are we saying that feature faces a driver issue? Is the feature buggy on Mac, or works on other people's with Mac? Are there any settings related to these two things that might help?

Yeh a CUDA version would be nice for macOS (I have a Nvidia card in my MacBook Pro) but I understand the argument against it. I'd prefer to see all the bugs of the Mac version solved first ( no loading bar, no incremental rendering, non-US keyboard not recognised, renderman not working...)

Back at your problem, I do not have a geometry preview went I use the sketch tool, except if I hit "enter" every time. But I don't have that weird navigation with the sketch tool. Maybe you can try to reset 3DC ?

Thanks for the report! I have compared Sketch Tool from "3D-Coat 4.7.32" for Windows with "3D-Coat 4.7.32" for macOS. The problem with invisible initial cube and geometry changes has been resolved. The camera behaves identically between Windows and macOS builds. The build "4.7.32" for macOS has been updated (please download it again).

Sketch Tool fixed under macOS.jpg

• Like 2

OMG Awesome! Thank you so much!!! I'm stoked.

Update on the camera issue I experienced: It was resolved by selecting from Camera Drop -Down "rotate around world center"

I still think it should behave more naturally while using "rotate around a custom point". Apparently when in sketch mode 3D coat thinks there is nothing to select in the middle of the screen and therefore world center still works, but custom point does not.