3DCoat Forums

How to paint with smart material using polygon brush?

Shawn Driscoll

• Advanced Member

I have a UV-mapped object in paint per/pixel mode. I want to paint with a smart material using the polygon brush. What is "best practice" for doing this so that the smart material gets applied correctly?

ADDED:

Maybe my question can be more simplified to: After painting an object with a smart material, I now want to paint over that material with a solid blue color. How do I get the blue to be solid blue with none of the smart material showing underneath it still? I have everything set to 100% that I can think of while painting with just a blue color. I have depth turned off. I don't want the blue paint to have depth. I have the smart material on one layer, and the blue paint strokes on another layer. I'm using a mouse to paint with.

Edited by Shawn Driscoll

• Advanced Member

Flat Shade?! You mean downgrade my graphics quality while painting? I'll never do that.

Anyway. I found the bug. 3D-Coat treats Glossiness Intensity two different ways:

A Glossiness Intensity of 0% is not the same thing as a disabled Glossiness Intensity (according to 3D-Coat's programming), as far as painting a basic paint color over a smart material color.

In other words, disabling Glossiness Intensity breaks 3D-Coat's ability to completely paint over existing paint with 100% coverage. Maybe this has to do with Glossiness belonging more to diffuse material than to metal material? 3D-Coat needs a warning displayed to let users know the consequences of turning on/off Glossiness when smart materials are detected in an object's paint layers.

Edited by Shawn Driscoll

No, im asking that to know if the tool work properly.

It is not a bug. It is expected.

Do you like to use glossiness and specular channels instead of metallic/roughness ?

Change the channels of the document (in the up left panel) to paint these channels and to be able to preview them correctly in the 3D view.

Try not disabling the gloss / roughness channel and in the far right of my picture is the Roughness value input... Increase that to 100 (pure white) which means the micro faceted surface has no reflective qualities at all.

Metal is already set to "0" meaning the material is not metal.

RM.jpg

• Advanced Member

3D-Coat needs to disable Glossiness controls while in metal metalness material mode. Too much bleed-over when selecting 3D-Coat materials to paint with, causing user to keep an eye on Glossiness settings toggling on their own. Maybe something to add in version 5.0.

Edited by Shawn Driscoll