3DCoat Forums

I'm new to 3D Coat, and I have many questions and perhaps feedback

Makkahn28

Hi. I am very new to 3D Coat, I saw the interface, and so far loved what I saw, But have many, many questions and feedback on this.

Compared to ZBRUSH, is 3D Coat more robust, Versatile, user-friendly and more?

I saw something on your YT Channel on how 3D Coat can do Sketch, and I find that intriguing, but not sure how it fully works, is it similar in principle to Photoshop?

Can I use 3D Coat to make an object and then print on 3D Printer?

What Plugins or Add-Ons are available on this?

Can one create their own tools, like Brushes, similar to Photoshop?

Would be nice IF 3D Coat can simulate actual Sculpting techniques like in real-life scenarios of Sculpting?

Does 3D Coat have similar Painting abilities like Substance Painter, for Texturing of all scales?

Will 3D Coat be a better alternative to ZBRUSH?

What graphics cards work best with 3D Coat?

What sort of polygon or scenario may cause potential lag when Using Wacom Intuos Pro Tablet?

Is 3D Coat compatible with objects that were made in Blender, or TV Paint?

I have more to inquire, but I am curious on these questiions

Thanks

• Reputable Contributor

Lot of questions... Here is a playlist of You Tube 3DC videos. Some are older of course and all software changes through time but most will give you a good idea of the strengths of 3DC.

https://www.youtube.com/user/PILGWAY3DCoat/playlists

Zbrush and 3DCoat both have their strengths...  I would say at the start 3DC is more user friendly. 

They are both powerful programs, really depends upon your specific needs on which one to buy or both. 

You can create your own preset brushes and alphas for brushes.

Plug-ins are varied. Go to the applink thread to see them. Now some applinks have not been updated in awhile by the authors of the plug-ins. 3DC has no control over the updating of plug-ins which is common among all software.

Yes you can 3d print your 3D models. 

Sculpting can be done by cutting away or adding too simulating more like real life sculpting. I am not saying that 3DC is trying simulate real life sculpting but if that is your desire,  it can be done. 

Not sure what kind of sketching you are talking about. The sketch tool? or 2D like sketching.  

Any modern graphics card will work. The more ram you have on the card the better. I would recommend at least a 4 vram card. You can have less but 4 and up is better. Some functions of 3DC are cuda enabled so that requires a  Nvidia card.  Internal Intel graphic cards to do work well from my understanding, Someone could correct me if I am in error on that.

No lag is associated with using a tablet. I have an Intuos too. Lag is cause by the number of polygons or voxels you have depending upon your system specs.  You did not give your specs.  I suggest just testing. 

3DC has PBR painting like SP with the use of Smart Materials. 3DC works differently in it's layer structure than SP. 

There is no support for a Blender "blend" file but other formats are supported and there is a applink too. Blender and 3DC work well together. 

The above is not a in-depth look at 3DC.

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

Over many years I've tried various trail versions of ZBrush and the interface aways  drove me nuts. It's more confusing than Blender3D or Truespace3D. 3DCoat is very clean, simple and quite intuitive. Love this app although I tend to do more photography & 2D work in Photoshop, Painter and ArtRage then 3D stuff...

3DCoat is a welcome change from other 3D apps I've tried. And a welcome addition to my existing 3D tools - Silo3D, Hexagaon3D, Vue Complete, & Curvy3D. Moi3D is the next 3 app I hope to purchase.

Edited by kenmo

• Reputable Contributor

Opps, I missed a important word in my post... I meant to say that internal Intel graphics cards do not work well with 3DC as per my understanding of what others have posted in the 3DC fourms.

I remember truespace3D, when they gave it away free... Tried it and that was about it...

I agree 3DC is just an easy app to use on the most part. Still one of my favorite applications on my computer since Version 2.  

Edited by digman

• Advanced Member

It all comes down to personal preference in the end but I find 3D Coat to be very comfortable compared to programs like Substance painter with workflow/interface. I primary import 3d hardsurface models in a low poly state and then make a high poly version via voxels, unwrap my low poly,.bake and then finally paint it. I pretty much hit all the rooms that 3D Coat focuses on and grown conformable with how to use them. Question you had on things like brushes yes you can make your own and import your own libraries of brushes to use and create sub folders for them even.The same can be done with smart materials as well. Been working on some materials and brushes myself. Substance painter at this point has more resources to find on the web but there are some great guys like Michaelgdrs that releases his materials he makes. I hope to start getting my resources out there soon to expand the options of add-ons for 3D Coat as well. This program has a lot of potential for more created brushes and materials for sure.

I'm just under a year on using this application but its already so dramatically overhauled my workflow in such a positive way it is hard to imagine not using it it in the past. I'd say give the trial a run at the very least and see if you like it or see a lot of the YouTube videos showcasing the latest version of it. A lot of good demonstrations of what can really do for sure.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
21 hours ago, Makkahn28 said:

Just curious, IS it possible to bring, example, an image into 3D Coat?

Like an scanned image, or image taken by Phone camera or is it not possible?

You can import greyscale images as Stencils. Regular images plus again greyscale images in to be used in the creation of a Smart Material using varied projection methods. A image as a mesh.  Images along a spline. images as splines, Images placed using the exterior editor link. Reference images.

So to answer your question, yes...

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

I have version 4.5.1.6 and having trouble installing either regular shaders from the 3d coat website or some pbr shaders I downloaded. I go to File, install extension, then restart 3d coat but nothing shows in sculpt room, is it my version or am I missing something?