3DCoat Forums

Retopo of a car

kenmo

• Advanced Member

I'm a car nut. Have been since I was a toddler. One of the first things I drew with a pencil and paper was a side view of car that looked somewhat like a VW Beetle. A few years before my Mom passed in 2011 and after a 7 year battle with ocular melanoma (eye cancer) she gave me the original drawing, which she had kept for over 50 years...

I recently downloaded a trial of Moi3D and immediately feel in love with it. Wanting to learn more about Moi3D I started to create some simple models and later started to download some car models from Grabcad. I grabbed this free model from grabcad.com. It's a vintage VW Beetle.

https://grabcad.com/library/1964-custom-volkswagen-beetle-complete-1

I decided it would be a good candidate to attempt a retopo of the car's body.

I loaded it into a trial version of MOI3D and converted the model to obj. I had to play with MOI3D's export to obj options until I got a size that was manageable in Hexagon3D and yet retained enough detail. The best seemed to be 721,337 faces. The model looked much nicer in it's native format inside of Moi3D but it was way too heavy and really slowed my computer down, just navigating around.

Using  Hexagon I broked apart the main objects that comprised the exterior of the car such as hood, front fenders, body, doors, rear fenders, rear hood.
Each part was imported separately into 3DCoat's sculpt room instead of the voxel room. Importing into the voxel room caused the objects to distort. When imported into the sculpt room they did not distort.

I then viewed each mesh in wire frame mode and increased their resolution accordingly.
I tried an auto  retopo but the results where terrible.

Instead of giving up I tried to manually retopo each part. I had no success with the strokes tool. So I proceeded with the points and quad tools. I kind of like the results. And although tedious, not as difficult as it has been in the past.
Edited by kenmo
Correction...

• Advanced Member

Here's a screen capture of the model in Hexagon3D after it was converted to an OBJ with a poly count of 721,337...

GrabCad.jpg

Edited by kenmo

• Advanced Member

Some of my retopo screen captures. Still just learning this...

Still have the rear hood to do...

When I imported the model into 3DC the Y & Z axis where reversed. I don't know how to correct this... Any ideas?

3DC-Body.jpg

3DC-front.jpg

3DC-hood.jpg

3DC-rear.jpg

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

I re-assembled the parts in Hexagon3D and did a further subdivision.... I find Hexagon easier to assemble parts in then 3DC as I can manually enter in co-ordinates for the X,Y & Z axis. I wish 3DC has this feature or perhaps it does?

Criticism, tips, pointers, etc are more than welcome. Please don't be shy....

VWRetopo01-Hex.jpg

VWRetopo02-Hex.jpg

Edited by kenmo
  • Like 2