3DCoat Forums

Need help with a tattoo placement

Richard A.

• Advanced Member

Hi,

Working on a character design, I've tried all I can in other programs but here I am again begging for help as so far 3DCoat just about fits the bill but for one issue.  The tattoo is a color diffused one so I need it to remain color not black and white and all I could find was the stencil area.  I need an area like the stencil but with color. 

Also when I tried saving the file out again I got an error message so I had to created an .o2 version of that same file, I'd prefer to save over my previous save if possible. Not sure if that's a bug or an unwanted feature. 

Also, 2, When I wanted to replace the torso texture with my backed up untattooed one I got it replaced but the program must have had some gloss channel on that I didn't expect and there are just too many options for textures in the drop down so I just reloaded the entire project without the tattoo so perhaps with this newest upgrade there are changes I'm not aware of?  Anyway, I need some advice on NOT having the tattoo shiny, that's not what normal tattoo's do so I don't want that. 

Thanks for the help and advice

Richard

• Reputable Contributor

The below is not an in-depth how to but to let you know it can be done.

The old legacy stamps in the prior non PBR versions of 3DC are gone. 

Now you create your stamps using the Smart Material editor and using "From Camera" projection. 

Create a new smart material adding your tattoo image to the color channel. If you are unsure on how to set the roughness / glossness  and metallic channels, before you apply your tatoo turn off all  roughness / glossness  and metallic channels by disabling the 3rd sphere icon (gray) in the top tool panel of the main UI.

You can create a new folder and name it "Stamps" to put all your From Camera smart materials there to keep things tidy. 

Not sure why you are getting the gloss in your imported image

flat Camera.PNG

editor.jpg

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

Thanks so much.  I've got an issue with my account being associated with an email address I don't want it associated with so been frustrated with trying to log on.  I got back in but using the wrong email address and this system won't let me change it.  When I do it tells me there is someone already using the email address... duh, it's me.  So if your friendly with one of the mods here let them know I'm WAITING for a response to either my rich1344 or my ramarts44 account. 

Thanks again for all your help with tattoo issue, very much appreciated!  :-)

Richard

• 2 weeks later...