3DCoat Forums

Endless loading times

Hi guys,

i'm working with pretty big files with many layers and experiencing quite some real long loading times. It takes around a hour or longer to load a 1.6 gb, 4k big file. My rig is a core i5 760, 16gb RAM and a nvidia gtx 970.

Are there any known issues with big files or many layers? Do I need more RAM for these kind of files? Is it possible, that many overlapping uv islands increasing the loading time?

Hope anyone can help.

Edited by urahziel

4 hours ago, urahziel said:

It takes around a hour or longer to load a 1.6 gb, 4k big file. My rig is a core i5 760, 16gb RAM and a nvidia gtx 970.

I don't think is it suppose to take THAT long to open a file with your rig.

Is there situation where a file will take that long to open in 3Dc without a bug ?

• Reputable Contributor

It could be that when you load the scene, the polycount is so huge that is takes most of that 16GB. Windows uses 4GB+ on it's own, so 16GB is a bit light, and having a 1.6GB file tells me it's really heavy. When you get close to your max on RAM, the slow down is Windows using your pagefile as a RAM backup and that slows everything to a crawl.

RAM is pretty inexpensive right now, so if you can, try to bump your capacity up to 32GB, and avoid heavy voxel resolution on your objects. Switch to Surface mode as much as you can. Voxels are mainly good for fast, trouble-free booleans, especially when merging parts together, but Surface mode is where the real action is at. Plus, you can save a lot of RAM if cache the layers you are not actively working on. It might bump up your file size, but 3D Coat doesn't have to load the dense objects into RAM until you uncache the layer.

That would be my guess.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

I created a test file... 

30 million voxels one layer file but once you bake a curvature map,the voxels are switched to surface mode. 

No proxy layers in the sculpt room for conversing memory as this is a test.

I uv set

10---4K layers

Curvature, AO, Normal map, shader that was baked and 6 smart material layers filled with a smart material, a more complex material. 

Saved 3DC file was 2.45 gig...

I closed 3DC and then reopened the 2.45 gig file.

Total time to load 1 minute and 54 seconds.  

Total memory used which includes Windows 7 memory (2gig) was 9 gig... 

I have a 8 core AMD cpu, 4gig vram 770 gti and 16gig of ram.

When I have large 3DC files, I close any other running applications to converse memory.

My video card could do a few 8k textures but I stay at 4k because 8k layers in 3DC can quickly max out my video card memory. 

All the advice that AbnRanger gave is good. 

24 to 32 gig of ram is better and above a 4 gig video card is better as well... 

I plan on getting the AMD Thread Ripper plus at least 32 gig of ram, even might go to 64 gig. Video card will be the 1080tI with 11 gig of vram. 

Baking and adding 4k layers increases the file size tremendously. The 30 million voxel file was only 212 meg. When I baked and added filled 4k texture layers, it jumped to 2.45 gig. 

Side Note: If I bump up just my voxel object to 60 million, alone that takes 13.7 gig of ram (3DC & Windows 7). I would not work at that level  with my current amount of ram as baking plus adding 4k filled layers would max me out rather quickly and page file swapping would kick in when reloading the saved file... Then it would take a long time to load.

I am not sure what is causing your long loading times. You could send the file to Andrew to see if he has time to look at it. Under the Help Menu is where you can upload the file to 3DC's  support.

245.jpg

Edited by digman
Corrections
  • Like 1

Polycount shouldn't be a problem, the mesh has only around 34k vertices. It was created in Maya, uv-packed in 3d Coat, fixed in Maya and than painted in 3d Coat. I also gotten some packing problems, when some UV shells are overlapping. These UV shells gotten somehow reconnected and crumbled to zero. So I needed to delete these overlapping shells, than packing, reimport to Maya and recreate them. Perhaps this is creating some strange Problems, but i'm not sure.

When i'm loading the file, I can see how my memory is going up to the max and then the swapping starts, so possibly more memory would be the solution.

19 hours ago, digman said:

I uv set

10---4K layers

Curvature, AO, Normal map, shader that was baked and 6 smart material layers filled with a smart material, a more complex material. 

My mesh is also using only 1 uv set, but I have far more layers. AO, Curvature, around 15+ smart Material Layers and 30+ other layers, but most of them only have some small details.

Edited by urahziel

If your scene contains more high resolution textures than your video card has enough memory to handle, you are out of memory.

Can you reduce the Max Texture Resolution ?

For 4k painting you need more that 2gb VRam.

i would recommend using multiple 2k maps.

• Reputable Contributor
4 hours ago, urahziel said:

Polycount shouldn't be a problem, the mesh has only around 34k vertices. It was created in Maya, uv-packed in 3d Coat, fixed in Maya and than painted in 3d Coat. I also gotten some packing problems, when some UV shells are overlapping. These UV shells gotten somehow reconnected and crumbled to zero. So I needed to delete these overlapping shells, than packing, reimport to Maya and recreate them. Perhaps this is creating some strange Problems, but i'm not sure.

When i'm loading the file, I can see how my memory is going up to the max and then the swapping starts, so possibly more memory would be the solution.

My mesh is also using only 1 uv set, but I have far more layers. AO, Curvature, around 15+ smart Material Layers and 30+ other layers, but most of them only have some small details.

Yes, textures take a lot of memory as I had stated. 45 4k texture layers is going to take lots of system and video card memory.  I would have at least 32 gig of system ram and 6 to 8 gig of video card ram.

Ok, thx. Normally I would prefer to use multiple maps, but we are in the middle of production and it was decided to use only 1 map. This wasn't a big problem until I needed to create additional maps for some shader effects. But I see, the solution should be to throw more power at my problem xD