3DCoat Forums

Blender used for Wonder Woman closing titles

• Reputable Contributor

Yeah. I think with Cycles + AMD's ProRender (Blender now has 2 integrated GPU render engines, when most don't even have one), all the HardOps, DecalMachine and BoxCutter modelling chops, and now the EVEE viewport tech, Blender is shaking things up, for sure. One thing that helps them out, and Houdini, too...is that they aren't bound by the whims and greed of Corporate shareholders.

One app I think both Houdini and Blender is hurting most, is Modo. It's becoming increasingly difficult to justify charging $1800 or $600/yr on a specialty modeling app.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

A quote from the article mentioned. 

"Jason: Much of our 3D modeling begins in Blender and is often refined in Maya. Krakatoa is responsible for most of the smoke simulations and Houdini was used for many of the scenes involving water. We love using Maya for realism, the watch for example, but Cinema 4D was used just as much and was just as effective." 

The statement is down about 2/3 in the page when they start discussing software tools.

http://www.artofthetitle.com/title/wonder-woman/

Edited by digman
  • Like 2

• Advanced Member
12 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

Yeah. I think with Cycles + AMD's ProRender (Blender now has 2 integrated GPU render engines, when most don't even have one), all the HardOps, DecalMachine and BoxCutter modelling chops, and now the EVEE viewport tech, Blender is shaking things up, for sure. One thing that helps them out, and Houdini, too...is that they aren't bound by the whims and greed of Corporate shareholders.

One app I think both Houdini and Blender is hurting most, is Modo. It's becoming increasingly difficult to justify charging $1800 or $600/yr on a specialty modeling app.

It's pretty hard to compete against FREE.

:)

Edited by L'Ancien Regime

• Reputable Contributor
6 hours ago, L'Ancien Regime said:

It's pretty hard to compete against FREE.

:)

All the more reason to adjust their prices and make Modo more of a full-featured app so it can compete.  If it was just the FREE aspect of it, Blender would have been more of an industry standard by now. Blender is really coming into it's own, in terms of features and development pace.