3DCoat Forums

Hello + Viewport Question

Haunted

Hi,

I just downloaded the trial version of 3D Coat! I am normally using Blender and want to learn something new. At the moment I am comparing Mudbox and 3D Coat.

I have a quastion though:

I tried to set up the Viewport (Camera) controls to be similar to blender. Mainly MMB to rotate and Shift+MMB to Pan, Mouse wheel to zoom. Works quite nice, except for panning.

When rotating and then panning, the camera switches to some point, I don't know why (maybe axis snapping?!). See here: 

This is annoying me x_X

Regards,

Haunted

• Reputable Contributor

There are several ways to rotate/ pan around an object. See picture.

It appears you are rotating around the current pick point.  For your case "rotate around object's bounding box or rotate around world center" if your model is at world center.  

I would suggest not getting annoyed as any new program takes a bit to get use to. Blender can be very annoying to a new user if one lets themselves be so. 

I have MudBox and the sculpting tools in 3DC are more powerful plus one of the most powerful retopoing toolset on the market. Also you have the ability to work in the PBR workflow in the paint room.

Now I do like Mudbox and for 80 dollars a year, I could not pass it up. It has a good connection to Maya LT. Mudbox has true vector displacement creation, plus subdivision levels and sculpt layers. 

3DCoat and Mudbox work really well together as companion software. 

And to be sure you created your own custom Navigation settings. That is shown in the picture at the top of the picture.

Side Note: You can create hotkeys for your rotation settings under the camera menu so you can switch on the fly.

rotation.jpg

Edited by digman
Corrections
  • Like 2

On the top right of the 3D viewport is a "Camera" settings area. If you go to "Customize Navigation", there's a function near the top of the list called "UseShiftSnapping". Untick this, and you're good to go. This function is meant to emulate the Zbrush style orthographic views (left, right, front, etc.) snapping.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, digman said:

There are several ways to rotate/ pan around an object. See picture.

It appears you are rotating around the current pick point.  For your case "rotate around object's bounding box or rotate around world center" if your model is at world center.  

I would suggest not getting annoyed as any new program takes a bit to get use to. Blender can be very annoying to a new user if one lets themselves be so. 

I have MudBox and the sculpting tools in 3DC are more powerful plus one of the most powerful retopoing toolset on the market. Also you have the ability to work in the PBR workflow in the paint room.

Now I do like Mudbox and for 80 dollars a year, I could not pass it up. It has a good connection to Maya LT. Mudbox has true vector displacement creation, plus subdivision levels and sculpt layers. 

3DCoat and Mudbox work really well together as companion software. 

Hi digman,

thanks for your answer. I am quite used to Blender and since I have several hobbies (3D, Music, Programming) I have to limit my budget. Since I am primarily interested in 3D sculpting (no more box modelling, bleh) and retopology for low-/mid poly assets, I have to decide between 3D Coat or Mudbox (ZBrush Core has no retopology option and the full version is way to expensive).

Since I am using Blender for everything else (Scene setup, rigging and animation, rendering and compositing, depending on what's on the table :P), I find it rather helpful if all the 3D tools I am using, act similarly. Maybe I am going to switch between these tools more or less often, I don't know yet.

Maya and all the other tools out there are way to overpriced for my little hobby creations (And since I am no student anymore ... ). 

Thanks for the tip with the hotkeys, have to try it out! :D

26 minutes ago, Javis said:

On the top right of the 3D viewport is a "Camera" settings area. If you go to "Customize Navigation", there's a function near the top of the list called "UseShiftSnapping". Untick this, and you're good to go. This function is meant to emulate the Zbrush style orthographic views (left, right, front, etc.) snapping.

Hi Javis,

thanks! That seems to fix my issue! :D Awesome!

As far  as I can tell from one day of comparison. 3D Coat seems to be the way to go for me. I don't know how much upgrades will cost, but $99 to begin with seem okay to me. I like the Voxel approach :D But I will keep comparing and watching more tutorials. 

Regards,

Haunted

• Reputable Contributor

I think you will find 3DC a great companion with Blender. There are a couple of 3DC to Blender applinks as well. These are free.

The below I believe you would know already but for others who read this thread.

Blender now has the Disney Principled PBR shader for Cycles, so very easy to setup the exported metallic---roughness workflow in Blender.

The EEVEE real time PBR renderer is coming soon to Blender. 

Be sure to read the comparison chart toward the bottom of the buy page for the limitations of the $99 dollar version just so you know.

Also all bugs are fixed in the betas and do not get fixed in the current stable version. That is how Andrew has done it for years now.

The new features are in the latest betas. You can install both the stable and a beta version.

Link to the beta versions.

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, digman said:

I think you will find 3DC a great companion with Blender. There are a couple of 3DC to Blender applinks as well. These are free.

The below I believe you would know already but for others who read this thread.

Blender now has the Disney Principled PBR shader for Cycles, so very easy to setup the exported metallic---roughness workflow in Blender.

The EEVEE real time PBR renderer is coming soon to Blender. 

Be sure to read the comparison chart toward the bottom of the buy page for the limitations of the $99 dollar version just so you know.

Also all bugs are fixed in the betas and do not get fixed in the current stable version. That is how Andrew has done it for years now.

The new features are in the latest betas. You can install both the stable and a beta version.

Link to the beta versions.

Yes, I read about the Applinks. Seems to be community developed? I have to check it out with Blender 2.79. EEVEE will be awesome too! Can't wait to see it fully functional!

Thanks for the tip with the latest beta! It's good to know! I got my Intuos working with 3DC, too. Time fully test the software and create my first sculpture with it! :)

Regards,

Haunted