3DCoat Forums

Hey folks!

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in tutoring my wife in 3D coat for payment.  We're in Kansas City, MO around Westport so if anyone is close by and can meet in person that would be even better.  I was thinking something like a video call where she could share her screen with the tutor would be good if they can't be here in person.  She's doing pretty well I think but she's so frustrated without someone around to help when she gets stuck.  We are both traditional clay sculptors but new to the digital world.  As I said we would be willing to pay.

Thanks!

• Advanced Member

Digman is highly recommended from me too!  I've got a few chops myself, but he's certainly taught me a lot too -  and it worked well over skype screen sharing.  Besides he's a really nice guy and professional too!  Plus he's been using 3DC since the beginning of time ;-) so he knows a lot of the app's quirks and workarounds for advanced stuff.

Edited by popwfx

Thanks guys, does anyone have any good advice or videos, tutorials, for making dead-on accurate likenesses?  I'd especially like to get information from people who do professional portraits, try to learn efficient workflows, ways to effectively add reference pictures to the sculpting area, etc.  

Digiman has been very helpful, as well as several others, I really appreciate it

• Reputable Contributor

Here are a few... These are Zbrush tutorials but pretty well all methods can be done in 3DC.

Also Scott Eaton, a very well known professional artist who centers on anatomy. He gives courses.

http://www.scott-eaton.com/category/digital-portrait-sculpting

George Clooney Portrait. starts with a base mesh.

Bruce Willis: Not in English but can watch close to learn. Starts from scratch. You can slow the video speed down under the settings gear icon.

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Without going into details. a few quick tips.

At times to check your plane forms turn on Cast Shadows under the Geometry Menu (sculpt room). Not all shaders respond to cast shadows, select one that does. Now when moving the light you will get shadows in different directions.

Keep your voxel resolution low till you get a good basic form. Keep it simple till you capture the main likeness.

The entire body in one of my wips is only 2 million. Does not include the helmet and head. Very easy to change correct anatomy on the body at this stage.  I am still working on main anatomy at this point. Nothing set in stone as of yet. The head is 450.000 voxels. Very easy as well to adjust proportions, correct anatomy etc...

The pictures shows with Cast Shadows on at a certain direction.

Capture3.PNG

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

This (YouTube) is just a Time-lapse, but depending on what kind of  Learning Personality she has it is sometimes just good to watch how others are doing it.

3D Coat Training Channel  and There other Channel very useful.

With a few Paid online Courses. With a deeper insider Workflow will get you far as well.

I as well learned Clay Sculpting first before  working with a PC to make 3D Sculptures for my Clients. Here I believe it is important to understand the do`s and don't`s first. The Differences between all the functions in our 3D world (" UV,Retopo, etc...")

If she enjoy`s reading then I advice to  GET This  Book (google search)  You will have a deeper understanding on how everything works. It is old, but the Information is useful. Note this is how it all used to be done and everyone has there own Workflow! So you should stick with the Secrets you guys learned with clay sculpting and create the tools just like in the real world, but for 3D!

I highly recommend a 3Dconnexion (google search) Device. They will give you a boost in how 3D Space works ( Try getting a up to date Version Trust me you will fall in love and they do not cost to much and it is compatible with many CAD Software's )

And last, but not least before going all out on buying all the Programs in the world. Try blender out too. (even if it is a small try.) If not I would understand, but it all depends on what you want to do :)

The last thing that may be interesting is making a face scan of your client and building  it up with point clouds then turning it into a Mesh and just clean it up in 3DC.

Enjoy :)

• Like 1

Amazing help and tips, thanks so much.  Awesome that the first video is Hossein Dilba, I just found pictures of his portraits yesterday.  I also found this preview of another video he made about sculpting a full body portrait, but I don't see how I buy the full video, do you need to me a gnomon workshop member? I'll put a link here for anyone else reading the thread who's interested:

https://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/tutorials/creating-hyper-realistic-characters-in-zbrush

Anyone else used the 3dconnexion device?  I looked into it a little and it seems like some people love it and others think they do better with their left hand hitting hot keys and such on their keyboard.  

I'm also interested in finding the best quality detailed 3-D printer out there, ideally 25 microns or less.  So far it looks like the best one I can find is the SOLUS 3D printer by junction3d.  http://www.junction3d.com

it looks awesome, but if anything else can get similar detail for maybe a little less money I'd just like to have more options.  It seems pretty hard to beat though.

also, any advice on mechanical hard surface workflows?  Interested in perfectly recreating something already designed and also creating something mechanical from your imagination, two things which seem like they could have different approaches.

thanks again, you guys are a really cool community.

• 1 year later...
  • Reputable Contributor
9 hours ago, takis 59 said:

Thank you , but am looking only for certain specific tools .

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz7E0meXd2yMj4TKY2h0Rbg

Click the search field on the channel, not the Youtube general search field, and it will help you find what you are looking for.