3DCoat Forums

Issue about exporting

Timex

Maybe someone could help me with this...

I have a mesh and in the voxtree is represented as Voxel so it has the V icon,

I exported 2 models, one in V and other in S, both using right click and Export Object.

I suppose both models should be the same but as soon I import it on Mudbox, It keeps telling me that the model exported in V mode has errors.

Thats a bit awkward and I don't know exactly what is happening here, maybe I'm wrong but I think export in V mode should change internally into S mode before Exporting.

This is nothing that keeps me away I just need to be sure I'm in S mode before exporting and thats is easy to forget.

Maybe someone could give me more info about this, thanks.

• Reputable Contributor

I have Mudbox too and in my opinion it is overly sensitive to errors or to what it thinks are errors in a mesh.

I even corrected all errors in MeshMixer, a AutoDesk application. Export the object and there are at times that Mudbox will still find a few errors. 

Now to the part of my 3DC to Mudbox workflow.

Voxel or Surface mode.

Method 1:

1.Exporting from 3DC sculpt room. Decimate just a little. Example 2 million voxel or surface mode object, decimate by about 50,000 to 100,000. You really will not lose nearly any detail. I have found this corrects all or nearly all errors that Mudbox would find. If only a few errors are left, I use the relax brush to fix them using the method described "Use of the relax brush".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Method 2:

2. After decimating and exporting, import into MeshMixer and check for errors. Fix any reminding errors.  Even if there are no errors still export from Meshmixer as Mudbox seems to favor the way it writes the vertices order.

3. When importing into Mudbox, if there are only  a few errors, these can be fixed my using the relax brush, brushing over the red dots that revel the errors. It is a little hard to see which side of model the red dots are on but you get use to figuring it out once you done it a few times.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Use of the Relax brush:

Brush over the red dots.

Important, The only errors that can not be fixed by using the relax brush is the Non-Manifold error. This has to be fixed externally. 

In Mudbox, I run the Validate Meshes under the Edit menu after I use the relax brush. If a few errors remain, I use the relax brush and do this repeating the process Mudbox tells me that my mesh is good. 

Generally it only take a few minutes to fix a small number of errors in Mudbox using the relax brush.

Finally, like I said I do not fault 3DC for the errors as Meshmixer also exports and Mudbox will find errors too in the exported MeshMixer object at times.

The workflow once you get the hang of it does not take long to complete from 3DC to Mudbox.

Side Note: If your are working on scan meshes, I would for sure use Meshmixer after exporting from 3DC to help clean things up more.

Also decimating an object that has errors with Mudbox's decimation routine appears not fix the errors for your FYI.

------------------------------------------------------------

Picture shows on the left, a very slighty decimated voxel object from 3DC, no errors. The right side shows the same object with no decimation exported from 3DC and it has a few errors.

clean_dirty.JPG

Edited by digman
more information and corrections