3DCoat Forums

Rotate around vertical axis (Sideways locked rotation) important question.

confident

Hi guys.

Finally I have just discovered that there is hope for me to actually rotate the camera around the object by locking it to only move from the left to right (sideways)...... I didn't think it was possible.

My problem is when I go to custom navigation and do the shortcut it only works somehow if I put one key, for ex: ctrl. If I hold that key it rotates sideways but only in one direction :(. However I want to be more precise and use this method with a mouse so that I can have all the freedom to go back and forth. So then I went on and tried to use ctrl + (any mouse button) but it behaves like I'm holding Alt and LMB which means I can't lock the camera without keeping it from moving everywhere. I tried put one side button on the mouse as a shortcut, but I still have the same problem.

This is very important for me especially in 3D coat because I use the cut off tool a lot to make angled cuts.

Basically I want to use the mouse while keeping the camera moving sideways (left to right only) not up and down and everywhere. If you guys can help me out on this one I will it appreciate a lot.

Thanks

• Reputable Contributor

The use of the word "sideways" is somewhat confusing. The below is only my best shot atm.

I set my arrows keys in the navigation panel to rotate around one axis at a time. (rotate in screen space)

Up, down, left and right. That gives me 4 different directions for rotation depending upon which key I press...

Also set my rotational speed.

Of course you can skew the object's rotation by rotating around one axis then another if that is what you want.

Edited by digman

On 8/17/2017 at 3:48 PM, digman said:

The use of the word "sideways" is somewhat confusing. The below is only my best shot atm.

I set my arrows keys in the navigation panel to rotate around one axis at a time. (rotate in screen space)

Up, down, left and right. That gives me 4 different directions for rotation depending upon which key I press...

Also set my rotational speed.

Of course you can skew the object's rotation by rotating around one axis then another if that is what you want.

Yes I just tried the rotate in screen space instead, and it does the same thing, it kinda works. If I use a shortcut on my keyboard it rotates in one direction but if I choose a mouse shortcut it goes into freeform camera movement. I don't want freeform movement. Lets say I hold shift to change and snap the camera to a side view. Now I want to move the camera around the object backwards and forwards (left and right) (locked in a 2D perspective if you will)....... like if you are holding the camera perfectly still and you re walking around the object to take pictures. How do I do that?

Also I tried setting to set two events with one left and the other right key but it only works for one event. How did you do it?

• Reputable Contributor
4 hours ago, confident said:

Yes I just tried the rotate in screen space instead, and it does the same thing, it kinda works. If I use a shortcut on my keyboard it rotates in one direction but if I choose a mouse shortcut it goes into freeform camera movement. I don't want freeform movement. Lets say I hold shift to change and snap the camera to a side view. Now I want to move the camera around the object backwards and forwards (left and right) (locked in a 2D perspective if you will)....... like if you are holding the camera perfectly still and you re walking around the object to take pictures. How do I do that?

Also I tried setting to set two events with one left and the other right key but it only works for one event. How did you do it?

Sounds like you want a 3Dconnexion device. You can get used ones on eBay for dirt cheap.

• Reputable Contributor

One direction? That is why I use the four arrow keys for the 4 rotations. left, right, up, down. Now, I am talking about the rotational axis and not lateral movement which I know you understand but putting it here for others so they are not confused by the word usage.

Yes slower but I am not a fast fingers keyboard person anyway... Now I am not saying use four keys, I seen others fly upon the keyboard using multiple shortcut keys...  I should rehook up my Nostromo speedpad N52 so my left hand does not have to reach the right side of my keyboard.

AbnRanger keeps pegging my interest in a space mouse. :rolleyes:

Edited by digman

• 1 year later...
  • Reputable Contributor
On 8/19/2017 at 1:52 PM, confident said:

Thanks guys. Well what I'm asking is probably not possible in 3D Coat. Will look into that device AbnRanger.

Hello Confident, did you ever find a solution ? I am trying to do the same thing so that I can make vertical strokes with the 2d paint tool.

The SpaceNavigator is awesome, I use it all the time, but it does not solve this particular problem.

• Reputable Contributor

Well, I know this is a very old topic, but still, I found a very awkward solution, albeit it works perfectly.

Using the SpaceNavigator and going to its settings, I just uncheck every axis except the last one.
and set 3d coat to rotate around world center.
It works perfectly like a turntable.

image.png.7f68220158d034cc990fcfca5d314295.png

Edited by lesaint
Typo
  • Like 1