3DCoat Forums

Merge extruded curves (Curves Tool)

Findus

• Advanced Member

Is there a way to merge extruded curves with the main curve or other curves in order to get a smooth transition? It seems like they are connected, but not continuous, even if just two curves share a control point/sphere. Changing the hardness doesn't seem to work for them.

- Is there a way to adjust the transparency of the curve.

No, it isnt.

- Any way to clone curves.

Sorry but no.

- Is there a way to merge extruded curves with the main curve or other curves in order to get a smooth transition ?

No

-----------------------------------------------------------

Hope this help

• Like 1

If are you asking for ZSketch (adaptive skin conversion) equivalent inside 3DC,  this workflow can be a solution.

On 10/24/2012 at 3:00 PM, The Candy-floss Kid said:

The curves tool is like zspheres, zspheres with insert local functionality, zsketch and the newer insert tripart brush all rolled in to one allowing you to freely add your own created spline objects along it's curves. It's great for carving out forms from forms too as well as creating a depth skin between it's bezier curves with "filled inside" - altered by "add scale". It has many great features and I would urge you to dig deeply into all the functions of the curves and splines to create surfaces but also modify existing ones by running brushes along curves, which is a lovely detailing feature.

Using the sphere tool with an e-panel setting "stamp mode with moveable brush is also a nice way to draw out zspheres and place one at a time. It won't give you the advantage of altering the curve however. If you create these at a lower rez it will allow you to mesh them together with less definition whilst concentrating on the volume more. Stamp mode with moveable brush is cute.

Another interesting feature comparison "like for like" is - if you go to objects > merge and select "on pen" you have you very own "insert mesh" which you can select from the models window or navigate to on your system. You can drag and drop a voxel layer object into the Models or Splines Pallet, and have it also create a thumbnail for you. You can also quickly use/ create/ save a voxel form as a basis for a merge object file by another route > file > export pattern for merge. A merge object in this context is the ZBrush equivalent of an "insert mesh" and the model library (top right of interface) the "multi mesh" facility to include mesh components as you require.

3DCoat has had this function for a good while now and rarely blows it's own trumpet quite enough over such gems.

Hope this helps some more in your discovery.

• Advanced Member

Sorry, I hadn't seen your replies above the video in your first post, they didn't show up in the mail I got.

That basically answers my questions. 

I do understand the overall workflow (I think) and I'm aware I can copy elements at the voxel stage.

Edited by Findus
  • Like 1