3DCoat Forums

• Contributor

Greetings to the community.

I try to avoid posting issues as i usually find solutions on my own ( no complains in general ) .

Unfortunately not this time , but i hope that  a more experienced user might have a solution as i stuck and i cant continue the work.

I am painting a multi uv model with 4k textures.

Created several paint layers and i got out of system RAM!!!!

Been in that situation numerous times at work (32 giga of Ram) and at home as well (32 g again) but i was merging down the paint layers and it gave back the 

used RAM when i closed and open the scene with the layers merged down.

BUT this time , almost all layers have different blend modes so when i merge them down the result is wrong as when they get merged they go either on standard blend or taking the blend mode of the below layer. Reordering layers and merging gave little RAM back so this doesnt help as well.

Any suggestions??? System RAM is maxed out and cant do anything about that , Virtual ram has been raised to 64 G but this doesn't help either.

I am using the latest beta build as always.

Many thanks for any advises.

• Contributor

Temporary solution to continue working ---> Took textures down to 2k , more than half RAM was released.

All good , so i wont do any close up renders , no big deal.

• Reputable Contributor

This is one of those situations where Andrew would have to take a look at your scene file. I have 32GB of RAM, too and haven't really run into that situation, but 4k maps do tend to eat up a fair amount of RAM, if you have quite a few. I think some of that is the fact that each layer essentially has 4 channels, which are essentially 4 different maps per layer! You can see how it can start to get a bit crazy after you have several layers with multiple 4k UV maps.

Can you upgrade to 64GB in the near future? That is starting to become the norm, lately.

• Like 1

• Contributor

Thank you both Don and Carlos , i am aware of the 4 channel per channel and UV , each time i get into serious work i come across this RAM issue.

Its not 3D Coat issue 100000% , its my low RAM . Mobo s5000xvn max out at 32 unfortunately.

Contacted my tech shop , preparing another system as i am going to get hired again very very soon and i dont want to risk it.

All good , took this project down to 2k and problem solved.

In fact 3D Coat handled the downscale so good that there is too little quality loss , so i am happy even with 2k.

Many many thanks for the support PRO'S hive 5.

• Advanced Member

Yeah 3D coat will use up almost all of my 32 GB of ram. I primarily work in 2k and 1k but some of my scenes have a lot of models and the scenes themselves have well over 10+ layers. I'm considering upgrading to 64 GB;s of ram one day but for now if I manage it right I wont max my ram out but it does come close. 

Never thought I would use all 32 GB's of my ram but 3D Coat is getting my money's worth out of it for sure.

• Like 1

• Contributor

Yeah 32 is very low for modern software ,with painting and rendering softs being at the top of the list.

Hoping to exchange the current station from 8 cores and 32 Ram to a 24 cores and 128 RAM at least if can more.

5  to 8 years back ddr3 RAMS and Xeon processors again  but i will be able to work with out issues now.