3DCoat Forums

Unable to accomplish anything without crashing...

Kierab

I have the Steam version of 3D Coat Pro and the last few days it is just crashing *every* time I try to retopo, it seems to have gotten worse, no idea why.  I even started a new file (in case the horse i was working on was simply too *big*) where i am just making a unicorn horn for the horse - The voxel object is under 700k faces and is the only object in the scene.  It starts trying to retopo and it just sits there forever.  I left it alone for an hour and came back to (Not Responding) and no % finished showing.  Is there some known issue?  Is there some special setting to help make this all go more smoothly?  Do I need to try to reinstall or something?  I am unable to do anything with the software like this.

My Specs:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz (3997.67 MHz)
Memory: 16325 MB (virtual set to 24000)
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 15063)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 970/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 22.21.0013.8494
OpenGL Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 384.94

• Reputable Contributor

Download the latest build (4.7.37) > delete all the config (.xml) files in your "MyDocs/3D Coat 4.7" folders > install the new build and see if that doesn't help. It shouldn't be doing that.

By the way, when you say Retopo, do you mean you are running AUTO-RETOPO? If that is the case, it could be that you are trying to get it to spit out a game-ready, low poly mesh, and it can struggle mightily trying to apply under a few thousand polys when much more is needed. Auto-Retopo generates relatively even spaced quads, and isn't designed for generating a game-ready mesh.

Try a simply object from the splash screen, like the human figure (not the mannequiin) or the bust. Give it at least 10k, and see if it's not working properly. Another thing that could be giving 3D Coat fits, and thus causing crashes, is having empty pockets in your sculpt objects. If you are trying to auto-retopo a single sided, open mesh, it will also struggle...as it needs some volume/thickness.