3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 4.8 BETA testing thread

• Reputable Contributor

Yesterday AbnRanger and I were discussing the problem of the fill tool not being accurate to the preview window.  We ran several test. I will not go into the results of that testing as AbnRanger will be communicating to Andrew about the findings. 

The area does need fixing as soon as development time allows. I have a client who has high quality externally created fabric textures, which includes the normal, albedo, roughness, depth etc etc. 

The fabrics will be turned into smart materials.

The fill tool will be use extensively in this work. The fill tool can not be used because of being inaccurate as it requires too much manual adjusting. We need a what you see in the preview is what you get based off the smart materials settings.

The work is high production with time constraints to produce the end product.  

As always, 3DC is a great tool for working and producing content in the 3D field. I bring up these matters only as a way of improving and increasing the wide range of available workflows we have in 3DC. 

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
5 minutes ago, digman said:

Yesterday AbnRanger and I were discussing the problem of the fill tool not being accurate to the preview window.  We ran several test. I will not go into the results of that testing as AbnRanger will be communicating to Andrew about the findings. 

The area does need fixing as soon as development time allows. I have a client who has high quality externally created fabric textures, which includes the normal, albedo, roughness, depth etc etc. 

The fabrics will be turned into smart materials.

The fill tool will be use extensively in this work. The fill tool can not be used because of being inaccurate as it requires too much manual adjusting. We need a what you see in the preview is what you get based off the smart materials settings.

The work is high production with time constraints to produce the end product.  

As always, 3DC is a great tool for working and producing content in the 3D field. I bring up these matters only as a way of improving and increasing the wide range of available workflows we have in 3DC. 

Here is a possible workaround for the case of your client : Create shaders with those textures instead of smart materials for now, and bake from that.
(of course the result will have to be cleaned, areas where objects meet will be pixelated, but baking from shaders works great now).

Other workaround with smart materials is to use the paintbrush instead of fill tool...

• Reputable Contributor

@lesaint. Thxs for the infor, long time user here so I know pretty well all available workflows, The fill tool in this case is the best and most cost effective. The fill tool problem has been around for some time now.  I know also that the fixing depends on the 3DC current development schedule.

• Reputable Contributor

Beta Version 4.8.09

Localized vertex snapping seems to be broken. See picture.

Expected behavior: Only vertices selected should snap to the reference model surface. All the vertices of the dress are being snapped to the surface. See picture.

Version 4.1.17D. Yes old pre PBR version but the snapping works as expected when localized snapping vertex selection is used. 

EDIT: beta version4.8.07, the oldest I have is broken as well.  

snap verts.PNG

wrong.PNG

Edited by digman

- Possibility to pack selected islands into rectangle in UV Settings tool..

- Snap selected only in retopo room works correctly.

- Add Layer 1 automatically when trying to paint over voxel volume.

- Problem of depth when filling with Smart Materials fixed.

- Save/Load multiple splines, extrude, duplicate for curves (I mean new curves).

- Fixed problems of Rect/Transform tool in Paint room - crash, missing controls.

- Additional anti-aliasing samples in cavity calculation.

- Possibility to tweak vertiсes in Quads mode.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Reputable Contributor

The biggest thanks for the Fill Tool depth fix... Yahoo!!

Now a big thanks Andrew for the vertices snapping fix. :good2:

Packing selected uv islands feature means I know longer need to port my larger uv islands off to a temporary uv set while I work on packing the smaller pieces. Then I would have to bring back the larger uv islands plus then delete the temporary uv set. This makes this kind of work hassle free... Another thank you... :thank_you:

Quad tool not only now allows you to tweak the vertices but edges and faces too... :declare:

Edited by digman

What happened to the great unwrap routines in 3D-Coat?

I have problems when unwrapping models in 3D-Coat since some time. First I was not shure if this was a real issue. But since I am working more in blender I have the feeling something is wrong with the unwrap routines of 3D-Coat. What I have done is to try to unwrap a special capsule model in 3D-Coat. I needed such a model for my current project and it was not possible to get a nice UV map in 3D-Coat. So I tried it in blender. I did not expect blender would make the job better, because I know the good 3DC routines. But I was wrong... blender made it much better.

So please are you so kind and check, why a tool like 3D-Coat is not able to unwrap my example model well? I observe warped uv islands since some time in 3D-Coat but never thought it could be a problem with the app. But it seem so. In the future I will use the blender internal unwrap more.

See my screenshot for the problem. I have attached the model to this post too.

Thanks
Chris

capsule_unwrap.jpg

capsule_unwrap.obj

• Reputable Contributor
2 hours ago, Taros said:

What happened to the great unwrap routines in 3D-Coat?

I have problems when unwrapping models in 3D-Coat since some time. First I was not shure if this was a real issue. But since I am working more in blender I have the feeling something is wrong with the unwrap routines of 3D-Coat. What I have done is to try to unwrap a special capsule model in 3D-Coat. I needed such a model for my current project and it was not possible to get a nice UV map in 3D-Coat. So I tried it in blender. I did not expect blender would make the job better, because I know the good 3DC routines. But I was wrong... blender made it much better.

So please are you so kind and check, why a tool like 3D-Coat is not able to unwrap my example model well? I observe warped uv islands since some time in 3D-Coat but never thought it could be a problem with the app. But it seem so. In the future I will use the blender internal unwrap more.

See my screenshot for the problem. I have attached the model to this post too.

Thanks
Chris

I TOTALLY agree. In fact, I meant to ask Andrew about this, myself. ABF seems completely busted now. It never seems to work as well as it did before GU was introduced. And I find GU also struggles with anything more than very low poly meshes. Just one subdivision unnecessarily produces very contorted UV islands/shells. The 1st image is using ABF. The 2nd is GU. Both are unacceptable. I had to use LSCM and still had to use the BRUSH mode to straighten it out. It's just 2500 poly's.

Screen.jpg

Screen2.jpg

• Like 1

• Contributor

Got a new PC and everything is updated

Win10 64 bit

GTX 1070 with 8gb

16GB ddr 4

Intel i7 8700 3.7 Ghz

I have installed Version 4.08.06 DX and now i have a scratchy sound that comes from my pc if i work with 3d coat.

Never had such a sound with win7 or older Versions with 3d coat.

If i move the mouse in the viewport, i hear it, it sounds like an old modem.

If i dont touch the mouse, the ugly sound is gone.

In UV-Room it is more notecible as in the Sculpt Room.

Dont have this scratchy sound on my other programms. It only appears in 3d coat.

Any idea, what could causes that sound?

Edited by Malo

• Contributor

I heard the same mysterious sound {resembles a pen on paper) ages ago in an earlier version and Win 7. I mentioned it here and nobody answered with a solution. Maybe your this years winner in some alternate reality that bleeds into this one. If it is the same bug as mine, it will disappear in time.

• Like 1

• Contributor

I see dead people too...  Had that sound too on an early version as well.  It disappeared on time.  I had it in other soft,  maybe the scratch disk,  if I remember I had it on AE as well 

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Possible hardware issue. Can effect some applications and not others.  Soundcard and computer trying to share same resources as the same time. Use to happen to me long ago when playing games. Took some research but finally got the solution as related to the above.

You can try these tips to see if they work, of course it possible they not will work. It is worth a try though.

https://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/fix-sound-distortion-and-static-in-windows-10/ 

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

• Contributor

Hi ... I would like to warn you that the Clay Copy tool (Surface Mode) is in trouble. I was trying to copy an already sculpted ear to the other side of the head to avoid sculpting the same thing twice and I had the problem of the copy coming out completely blown. I quickly made a test example so you can see exactly what is happening with the tool.
And it seems to me that if you try to upload something you've already saved to use in Copy Clay, the result is the same where the polygons are exploded.
Is anyone else having this kind of problem?

Copy_CLAY_Capture.JPG

• Advanced Member
On 1/22/2018 at 9:31 PM, Malo said:

Got a new PC and everything is updated

I have installed Version 4.08.06 DX and now i have a scratchy sound that comes from my pc if i work with 3d coat.

Any idea, what could causes that sound?

I had the similar problem in some applications. It looks like a transistor on video card makes this sound when video card in highly loaded by application. If you have the sound coming from the speakers then it might be something else.

Edited by Vipera
  • Thanks 1

I had this happen too some years ago. It was especially painful when I was trying to record training videos for 3DC. And since 3DC was the only tool that caused it... Well, you can tell what happened due to my declining amount of videos I've done for 3DC. I built a new computer and it still happened until I started using an external/USB sound card. I don't hear it at all any longer. If you have someone with one, maybe give that a shot and see how it works out for you. If you need some input on those sound cards, let me know. Happy to point you in the direction.

• Reputable Contributor

Sorry if this is already a known issue, but for me it only appeared now with 4.8.10 :
Go to sculpt room and make a blob or something in voxels mode
Switch to extrude tool, make a few strokes, to make sure it works fine.
Now, either increase resolution of the vox layer, or use clone and decrease.
After that, when you try to use the extrude tool with the new resolution, it will do nothing. (using one of the pressure sensitive brushes. Lasso works)

Edited by lesaint

• Contributor
8 hours ago, bocs said:

does it sound like this:

Yep, sounds very similar, not as noisy as in video but yes, i hear it.

This sound only appears if i move the mouse in the viewport. 

You might be able to lessen the noise by moving your VGA cable (or whatever you're using to connect to your monitor) away from your case as far as you can.  I had the same issues (with Skyrim initially), tried all the same things, and only sorted it by physically moving the display cable.

• Reputable Contributor

I did not have noise but once had monitor ghosting. Did some researching and found out the same, at that time years ago, was using a generic VGA cable. I went out, buying a shielded cable and the ghosting went away.

• Reputable Contributor

Attempting to do vertex paint without creating a layer does not create it automatically here on Win7, contrary to the release notes.

Is painting/freezing to indicate areas of higher density actually working for anyone or is it something that never really worked ? While trying this yet again, I was thinking it would be nice if you could tell the autopo routine things like "look, this is a face, treat it like a face", or "here is an ear", instead of placing strokes and praying.

Edited by lesaint

• Reputable Contributor
5 hours ago, lesaint said:

Attempting to do vertex paint without creating a layer does not create it automatically here on Win7, contrary to the release notes.

Is painting/freezing to indicate areas of higher density actually working for anyone or is it something that never really worked ? While trying this yet again, I was thinking it would be nice if you could tell the autopo routine things like "look, this is a face, treat it like a face", or "here is an ear", instead of placing strokes and praying.

No Auto-Retopo toolset, in any app, works this way. You are asking an algorithm to do all the work for you, on a very complex shape. Auto-Retopo can do a great job on many objects, but it's not a "Make Awesome Face Mesh" button. It can only go so far. Same with ZBrush's ZRemesher and Mudbox's Auto-Retopo.

• Reputable Contributor

Sorry, I did not mean to ask the impossible, it was just a thought, and people have been saying here how wonderful retopo is in Mudbox (which I don't have).
I don't do autopo on my actual sculpt, I always prepare a specific version for that, fill/smooth details that I only want to be painted, and exagerate features like fingers, decimate, clean surface, make sure there is nothing inside, and autopo runs fine for my use, I love it.

• Reputable Contributor

@lesaint 

Painting Density has not functioned correctly for a time now. Maybe ever once in awhile it works but not generally. Now someone could run it and go oh it does work but I tested many times and it appears not to make any difference over the long run.  Your confirmation of this, plus others have mentioned it, when development bug fixing time is available, hopefully Andrew and team will look at the problem.

Mudbox has it's autop strengths and 3DC has it's. I use one or the other depending upon my need. Mudbox on some meshes was completing the operation on the same mesh where 3DC was failing. Both autopos run effectively as far as autopo routines go when they work. I had Mudbox even on a clean mesh,  report an unexpected error and fail. So 3DC is not the only software to fail in it's autopo at times.

Below is for others, not you, just a FYI.

Rule of thumb for any autopo.

Error free mesh. This is the most important part. 3DC will fail nearly all the time if there are errors in the mesh. Mudbox has a mesh error checker, which informs you of what kind of errors the mesh has and to fix them.  Mudbox will not fix them for you. Mudbox tells you straight up that the autopo can fail, crash Mudbox or produce a bad mesh. In 3DC atm we must know that the mesh is clean. This can be checked but outside of 3DC.

Clone your sculpt object, then reduce down in Voxel or polycount count to remove noisy details. You need only major to no more than medium form. This is done even prior to the decimation than the routine does itself.

Avoid having too thin areas. These could be manually retopoed.

If using guide strokes, as the helper informs us do not place too many. 

Generally 3DC autopo works, I think there could be a lingering bug or two, one of which I think is painting density.  One cannot inform or report a bug, ask for improvements if the mesh has errors which is causing the routine to fail.

Edited by digman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Contributor
On 24/01/2018 at 1:23 AM, Rygaard said:

Hi ... I would like to warn you that the Clay Copy tool (Surface Mode) is in trouble. I was trying to copy an already sculpted ear to the other side of the head to avoid sculpting the same thing twice and I had the problem of the copy coming out completely blown. I quickly made a test example so you can see exactly what is happening with the tool.
And it seems to me that if you try to upload something you've already saved to use in Copy Clay, the result is the same where the polygons are exploded.
Is anyone else having this kind of problem?

Copy_CLAY_Capture.JPG

Does anyone have this same problem with the Copy Clay tool (surface mode)?
When I use the copy or load, the polygons explode according to the attached image.
I am using the latest beta version 4.8.10 and the same problem was experienced in previous versions.
Please 3D-Coat developers could fix this wonderful Copy Clay tool.
Thank you...

• Advanced Member

For anyone having that noise because of high fps, you can try to use OpenGL version instead of DirectX. The fps can be significantly lower, but the noise will go away (hopefully). Just try and see if the performance is good enough for you.