3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 4.8 BETA testing thread

• Reputable Contributor

Doing some quick testing with Instant meshes.
It appears that scene scale has to be 1, otherwise the mesh imports at the wrong scale in the retopo room.

Apart from that, I think it's interesting. I tested with rounded edges, the instant mesh result looked like it couldn't work, I even did auto unwrap which never works right with autopo. It all looks very smooth in paint room and render room. I think this could have its uses, when you need something done in two minutes.

Capture2.thumb.PNG.7b007388788173f0bb983d96f10a1ffc.PNGCapture3.thumb.PNG.f0bdb6426e2e6c923c046f7fbbb3b314.PNG

Capture.PNG

5 hours ago, mkdm said:

Hello everyone.

I don't know if there's something wrong with my PC but this latest 4.8.14C crashes every time!!
With 4.8.13 no problem at all!

The crash happens just after I try to create an empty voxel scene from the startup window of 3DC.
Simply I get the generic Windows message "3DC has stopped working..."

What's going on ?

Thanks.

Marco (mkdm)

same, and I did redownload the latest build (as of 1PM 4/5/2018)
crash when I selected voxel scene (empty or with model)
---
got it working by uninstalling, then deleting all the folders left behind.

1. delete 3D coat folder from program files
*or 4.8.14# folder if you have multible versions installed

2. delete all 3 3D coat folders from your Documents folder

3. reinstall

now it will open scene
*If your model is red, it's the bug I reported a few weeks ago
*to fix it, right click a shader and click "Select as Default Shader"

• Reputable Contributor
11 hours ago, lesaint said:

It appears that scene scale has to be 1, otherwise the mesh imports at the wrong scale in the retopo room

Beta: 4.8.14C

This is confirmed from my end as well. 

• Reputable Contributor

Beta version: 4.8.14C

This is a good time to bring up "Retopo via Decimation: 

Scene scale has to be set to 1.00 or the decimated retopo mesh is to large in scale.

In the picture scene scale is set to 50.00 

The sculpt sphere is very tiny compared to the retopo mesh. The retopo mesh when using Retopo via Decimation needs to fit the sculpt room model no matter the scene scale set.

decimation.JPG

Edited by digman

• Reputable Contributor

Beta version: 4.8.14C

I just noticed that the transparency of a color map image in a smart material is now supported correctly.

What I mean is that when you apply a color image when using a smart material and you select freeze unpainted or painted pixels after you apply the material it now only selects which one you choose.

Thank for this fixed, is much appreciated.

Edited by digman

• Advanced Member
On 4/3/2018 at 8:32 PM, Michaelgdrs said:

Great results from Autopo in this build. THANK YOU.

autopo.jpg

autopo_2.jpg

Looks good indeed, but has 3D-Coat's native auto-retopo been improved as well? I thought only the Instant Meshes algorithm was added.

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, Metin Seven said:

Looks good indeed, but has 3D-Coat's native auto-retopo been improved as well? I thought only the Instant Meshes algorithm was added

Painting Density has been fixed but no specific mention was made of the autopo routine though is is possible it got worked on though we have no direct information the routine was looked at.

• Reputable Contributor
6 minutes ago, Metin Seven said:

That's also my impression, but I'd love to know if some fine-tuning has been performed, as I love 3D-Coat's auto-retopo a lot.

No, I think Instant Meshes was added to pick up the slack in the cases where 3D Coat's Auto-Retopo may struggle or fail. It's pretty rare for me, as I've learned how to "dumb-down" the model in order to prep it for the Auto-Retopo. Too many people just throw the everything and the kitchen sink at it and wonder why it fails sometimes. In short, you just need to make things as simple as possible for the algorithm....meaning don't throw an entire space ship or reptilian monster at it...break it down into logical parts or at least use VoxHide hide sections at a time.

If a user is careful in prepping their model, 3D Coat's default Auto-Retopo does a pretty remarkable job.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
4 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

fixed scale of objects in Instant meshes

Scale is working correctly for instant meshes.

Retopo via decimation still only supports a scene scale of 1.00. Any other scene scale and the retopo mesh is too large or too small according to the scene scale set.

I posted about this a few days later after the instant meshes scale problem post. Just a reminder here if you did not see my post. 

• Contributor
12 hours ago, Metin Seven said:

Looks good indeed, but has 3D-Coat's native auto-retopo been improved as well? I thought only the Instant Meshes algorithm was added.

Hi , sorry for the late reply , not sure , but i test it each time and i get similar results , this time i got significantly better results with the exact same settings.

I have put a lot of time in autopo research as i use it every single day for the last 3 maybe 4 years? Anyway , i made tons of assets with it and learned how to 

work with it , small assets , big , parts , hard surface or sculpts , always  getting very precise results.

Again this time i think that something changed  either retopo or the default manikin model  as this is the first i test autopo with.

• Advanced Member
7 hours ago, Michaelgdrs said:

Hi , sorry for the late reply , not sure , but i test it each time and i get similar results , this time i got significantly better results with the exact same settings.

I have put a lot of time in autopo research as i use it every single day for the last 3 maybe 4 years? Anyway , i made tons of assets with it and learned how to 

work with it , small assets , big , parts , hard surface or sculpts , always  getting very precise results.

Again this time i think that something changed  either retopo or the default manikin model  as this is the first i test autopo with.

Interesting, thanks @Michaelgdrs. I'll do some tests too.

• Advanced Member

Has anyone tested the curves?  I've played with it a little bit, but I don't know how it's intended to be used.

Andrew, is it possible to make patches out of curves?  Kind of like pseudo polygons?  I think it would provide a powerful framework for both sculpting and retopology.

The results I had were interesting.  But I think I encountered some bugs in 14C.  

First bug -> I created a curve and I tried filling the curve with voxels and nothing happened.

Second bug -> Then, I tried making a curve and aligning a curve profiles along it, which worked, but it started creating a ton of new mirrored layers everytime I moved it to adjusted it.  So on one side of the symmetry plane, I had the curve with the curve profile on it, and on the other side of the symmetry plane, it stamped in a mirrored version of the curve profile on a new layer.  After adjusting my curve profile for a little while, I had hundreds of layers showing a mirrored version of all the tweaks and changes I made.  

• Advanced Member

this is an issue that has been bugging me for a while and it's gotten to the point where it is happening all the time.  Usually after using the move tool or the scrape tool, the mesh produces all these square holes, effectively ruining your model.  You can't undo (the holes just re-arrange themselves), your only option is to load a save.  I am using version .14.  Here's a picture of the problem...not sure if there is any solution to this, but thought I would ask as this is very frustrating. 

2018-04-07_13h44_31.png

• Reputable Contributor
7 hours ago, gbball said:

Has anyone tested the curves?  I've played with it a little bit, but I don't know how it's intended to be used.

Andrew, is it possible to make patches out of curves?  Kind of like pseudo polygons?  I think it would provide a powerful framework for both sculpting and retopology.

The results I had were interesting.  But I think I encountered some bugs in 14C.  

First bug -> I created a curve and I tried filling the curve with voxels and nothing happened.

Second bug -> Then, I tried making a curve and aligning a curve profiles along it, which worked, but it started creating a ton of new mirrored layers everytime I moved it to adjusted it.  So on one side of the symmetry plane, I had the curve with the curve profile on it, and on the other side of the symmetry plane, it stamped in a mirrored version of the curve profile on a new layer.  After adjusting my curve profile for a little while, I had hundreds of layers showing a mirrored version of all the tweaks and changes I made.  

I started a New Curves beta thread so we can have a central thread to post about the new curves. They have matured enough to start this thread to give the development team some feedback.  Make sure you are using the lasted 3DC version when posting about bugs as they could be fixed in a newer beta. 

• Like 2

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, lesaint said:

I've never seen this, is this in surface mode or voxels ?

this is in voxel mode.

It happens randomly, so right now my solution is just saving all the time. =) 

edit:  it also seems to happen using the vox hide tool.

Edited by nobackup

• Reputable Contributor
21 minutes ago, nobackup said:

this is in voxel mode.

It happens randomly, so right now my solution is just saving all the time. =) 

Try deleting the options xml file Under Users/ MyDocuments/3DCoatV48. 3DC will recreate xml file upon restarting. If not using windows then wherever the the 3DCoatV48 folder resides.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, digman said:

Try deleting the options xml file Under Users/ MyDocuments/3DCoatV48. 3DC will recreate xml file upon restarting. If not using windows then wherever the the 3DCoatV48 folder resides.

thanks - I will try that =)

On 5/4/2018 at 3:56 PM, Michaelgdrs said:

Marco , kindly re download , there is a new build available.

Hi Michael!

Solved! Thanks a lot!
I had to completely uninstall 3DCoat both  my laptop and desktop, then delete ALL folder related to 3DCoat in c:\Program Files.... and "Documents" and reinstall again the latest 4.8.15c build.

I hope not to have again this issue with next builds.

Marco (mkdm)

• Reputable Contributor

Beta version 4.8.15

Pose tool rotations.

Voxel mode and surface mode. Surface mode since it is polygons they get stretched.

This is still a  current problem in the pose tool. The outside of bends are stair cased or stretched depending upon which mode you are in. I tested many times and happens in all rotations when using the pose tool. Smaller rotations less, large rotations more.

If possible can the bend be recalculated and resampled. The whole bend as the effected voxels or polygons could be recalculated.

The pose tool is a powerful tool, this problem hinders the use of the Pose tool for rotations.

Thank you for your consideration and depends upon the development schedule for any improvements to this problem.

I used a very soft pose tool falloff.

alpha.PNG

stretched.PNG

Edited by digman
Added information.

• Reputable Contributor

AbnRanger mentioned bevel profiles in the Beta curves thread.  I will add my first thoughts here. 

The ability to create user edge beveling of objects would be a big plus for sculpting esp hard surface. We have currently the ability to bevel some primitives when adding them to the sculpt room.

AbnRanger mentioned the use of bevel profiles or possible by angles of the edge. 

The current fillet tool is a possible way too but for an already imported model. 

Surface Mode.

One way to select specific edges could be by freezing. Freeze the edges you want to bevel. Invert the freeze and only the bevel would be applied to the unfrozen edges. Now the freeze would not have to be perfect but large enough to section off an edge / edges. 

All the above depends upon what is possible in code and in development schedules.

• Reputable Contributor

Another user posted about the problem. So is it confirmed as it happens on my end too.

Beta version 4.8.15 installed. No XML error appears.

If you load a 3DC beta version lower than 4.814, you get this error shown in the picture.  You can press ok on the error message and 3DC still loads correctly.

I tested loading, 10, 11 and 13. All had the error message appear.

Bug.PNG

• Reputable Contributor
21 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

I updated download link to fix problem of opening some 3B files (related to Sculpt->Curves tool).

The error problem of opening 3DC versions lower than 4.8.14 appears to be solved.

• Reputable Contributor

Beta Version 4.8.15C OpenGL. 64 bit Windows 7. 

Possible random bug in using Undo. A few other users have reported this as well.

Voxel mode.

Pressing Ctrl / Z keys will cause 3DC to completely crash.  This is random but appears related to the included models and primitives. 

I sent in the generated bug report.