3DCoat Forums

Materials getting Nerfed when I APPLY UV SET

RogerWalco

Hi All--

Hope all are well....incredibly grateful if you can tell me how to accomplish this...and ASAP :)

I'm building out some models in SILO3D--and I'm using 3DCoat for UVing so far. I absolutely love it. Here's my trouble:

I've marked up my mesh in the OBJ (silo) w/ some simple Materials....then I head over after UVing (3dcoat) to substance painter where I replace those simple MATs w/ glorious procedural ones. Problem is when I hit "APPLY" in the UV room----my material names all get nerfed back to vanilla (all one color, one same mat).

What do I need to do in 3DCOAT so this doesn't happen? I imagine I need to tell it something in the paint room etc before I hit APPLY UVs. I'm on a tight deadline so this will hugely help my workflow.  

Thanks so much--and if you wanna call and walk me thru it :) I'll definitely return the favor.
Roger

Carlos--
I have the latest release, but are you suggesting i use the Beta flavor? If you think that will do it-I can give a try.

I just thought the paint room somehow didn't store my MAT data--and somehow it is reapplying the first material "over" everything else. I had therefore thought that i might need to somehow "import" color/mat data into paint before committing UVs.

R/.

Carlos--

It is a -great- video thanks, in fact it is part of how i trained myself up in 3DCOAT. I'm actually a pretty good UV guy these days in 3DC.
So, that said-- I super appreciate, but it is sortof unrelated to my question! :)

I'm able to UV just fine, it is the Materials loss that is a problem.  

Thanks much, Sir!
Roger

I'm currently thinking that my trouble is that i am UNIFYING UVs....which resets everything to the #1 material.

I don't really understand how 3DC works w. multiple materials on a single UV space--i see greyed out stuff until i unify....even when the OBJ started out unified already.

So this may be my area of weakness. Kindly illuminate me into a correct workflow, O Swamis!
Thx-
R/.

• Reputable Contributor
2 hours ago, RogerWalco said:

I'm currently thinking that my trouble is that i am UNIFYING UVs....which resets everything to the #1 material.

I don't really understand how 3DC works w. multiple materials on a single UV space--i see greyed out stuff until i unify....even when the OBJ started out unified already.

So this may be my area of weakness. Kindly illuminate me into a correct workflow, O Swamis!
Thx-
R/.

If you're seeing greyed out areas in the UV room then you may have the wrong UV set selected.

3D Coat does seem a little confusing when it comes to differentiating between UV sets and materials, if you Unify UVs then it also "unifies" the materials, similarly deleting the unused UV sets will then delete the corresponding materials.  That being said I'm not sure if this could be considered the "correct workflow" but here's what works for me.

1. Import the .OBJ model using either the UV Map Mesh option in the Start Menu (Shift+M) or by going to File > Import > Model for Per Pixel Painting.

3DCImportPPP.jpg.b2dd8e5e3a55919e441be4b4586b5c11.jpg

2. Modify the UVs (using the pulldown menu to select the correct UV set for each material).

3DCChooseUVSet.jpg.92a5d0a01d870c6efed3c2a5f824de38.jpg

3. Once you've finished editing your UVs just hit Apply UV-Set then export your object.

(tested & working on v4.7.36 and v4.8.01)

If you need to unify the UVs in order to view them all simultaneously when editing them you can always use the pulldown menu just to the right of the UV Set Selection menu to move selected islands back to their correct UV sets afterwards.

Hi Fluffy--

Huge thanks / will review in detail in morn.

I just figured out that there can be multiple UV sets--and that my stuff was living on different UV "layers." What I cannot fathom is how it got this way--as this is a straight OBJ import from SILO or MAX....and I never created the layers. Oddly, they are -linked- to the MATs....somehow.

So I did bring everything to a single UV set---but then the MATS went with. Somehow the UV set then forces itself onto the MAT. So, still lost my color setup.

I tried a test cube w/ multiple MATs and it did not show up in multiple UV layers--it was just fine.

My main model must have gotten clobbered somehow....I 'spect if I am cautious in future, I can get it to behave like the cube.

I'm also convinced that there is a fix here. Meantime, this model is a little clobbered and no going back...fortunately it is also done so I wont have to suffer.

Thx for your help!

R/.

• Reputable Contributor

Intriguing!  I mostly use Maya and 3D Coat and whenever I import a model with multiple materials 3D Coat seems to create a UV set for each material so I always just assumed that's how it works.

If you do find any solutions or further info be sure to report back and clear up the mystery. :)

Edit > Preferences

Is Treat Retopo Objects... off ?

How many retopo groups you have in a single UV set ?

When Baking, 3DC create materials for every RetopoGroup.

Use the command UnifyUV to Move all faces to current UVset.

Hope this help

* Can you share the model to take a look ?

Treat Retopo Objects.jpg

UnifyUV.jpg