3DCoat Forums

Hi 3d coat users, some questions from a newbie, please help

houGenie

• Advanced Member

Hi 3d coat users. I am proud new owner of 3d coat and play with it around for one week. Really happy with it. I am trying to optimize my workflow so I have some questions. I hope you can help me.

What I am doing at the moment is the following: 

Import high poly mesh (HM) with "Import Mesh for voxelization" but without voxelization. Import low poly mesh (LM) with "Import retopo mesh". UV unwrapping, and then normal map baking.

So some questions to this constellation:

1. How can I replace the retopo mesh (LM) with a new LM without UV unwrapping again (mark seams, unwrap, packing, fiddeling around with UV Islands and so on). Because sometimes you want to correct the LM and then you must reimport it in 3d coat. What possibilities are there, and what exact menu commands should be used, there are many import commands ;-)?

2.Is there a way to save the UVs and import them again on a similar mesh? Or at least the seams.

3.If one changes seams in the UV unwrapping process, you must always UNWRAP, otherwise the UVs are not updated (even "Update Islands" command does not work). Manual changes on the UVs are then lost. How can I prevent that?

4. How can the UV checker texture density be changed? Because I have an object with a lot small details (small UV Islands) and the checker in the checker textures are too big to be any help in the viewport.

5.My normal map has stepping effects (aliasing effects). How can I prevent them? The issues goes away with higher resolution normal maps. Is there a build in method in 3d coat to anti-alias? Thought the normal dithering option in the bake menu would do that, but it has no effect.

6.It seems that the LM must be triangulated before the normal baking process, otherwise ngons create black artifacts. But triangulation makes seam selection difficult. How can one solve this ?

7.I have found that the paint object which is created after the baking process has only one smoothing group (at least it seems so), if you deactivate the normal map in the layers window. But the original retopo mesh has different smoothing groups (many hard edges). There is an option if you bake called "Auto Smooting Groups", it is deactivated. So I would expect if the normal map is deactivated, the painting object would have the same normals like the retopo mesh. But this is not the case. Can someone explain this to me? Is this expected and correct?

I know these are so many questions but I hope some ppl can help me. Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

• Contributor

More or less Yes to all of your questions , i am on a table and i find it extremely hard to answer in details right now , you need to check the official youtube videos on how rooms and commands operate and questions will be solved.

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, Michaelgdrs said:

More or less Yes to all of your questions , i am on a table and i find it extremely hard to answer in details right now , you need to check the official youtube videos on how rooms and commands operate and questions will be solved.

I have seen many of the videos and unfortunately did not found any answers to the questions. Searched even the forum for answers. For example the question with reimporting the retopo mesh without loosing UV unwrap, it is essential but no answers. Perhaps you can link me to a video which answers at least this specific question? 

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, Carlosan said:

replace the retopo mesh (LM) with a new LM without UV unwrapping again...

Hi,

The UV unwrap /seams are based in original model vertex geometry/topology.

If topology has changed, you must do the job again.

Even when you only adjust vertex positions? This ist not a topology change. 

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Michaelgdrs said:

pIf you adjust vertex positions it works. If you do the changes in the tweak room even with baked retopo models it works.

Okay thanks, will try it with the tweak room.Do you have an idea how I can add additional UV seams in retopo room and update the UVs without pressing the UNWRAP button, which destroys all manual changes? Update Islands does not what it should it seems. Optimally i would like to presse the Update Islands button and then the Pack UV, unfortunatelly this does not function.

Edited by houGenie
  • Like 1